Tests and MDT

• 3 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi all again. Its all happening quickly now after weeks of waiting. I have the pet ct scan tomorrow, the ultrasound biopsies on my neck lump on Friday. Next Tuesday I have the biopsies on my throat. The MDT is next Wednesday the 10th. I have my brothers funeral on the 12th and I get married on the 2nd September with a 2 week honeymoon from the 8th.to say I'm stressed is an understatement. What actually happens at the MDT meeting and will any of this affect our upcoming wedding as that's the only positive I got at the moment. Thanks, Jen x

• Hi Jen. A whirlwind crikey. 
    The MDT comprises all the clinicians in the department. Oncology, Maxfac surgeons, ENT. Radiologists,  Radiographers, pathologists and dentists plus all the nursing staff like Macmillan, SLT and dieticians. They meet once a week usually to discuss all the patients in their care. You are likely to meet maybe just the oncologist and Macmillan who will go through what your treatment plan might be 

Biopsy results usually take two weeks so maybe you won’t be discussed at the MDT till all the results are through  

Radiotherapy planning takes some time so you should be ok with your wedding. Congratulations and all the luck in the world to you both. You’ll get through this. Xx

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Jen

I was diagnosed having had the ultrasound, needle biopsy and a neck dissection 3 days before I planned to fly to the USA for a 3 1/2 week holiday (returning 10 days before Christmas).  My consultant was not keen on me going, my CNS separately told me to go as I would forever regret it if I cancelled.  I went!

I chilled and prepared myself and whilst away I organised all the bits I needed to do for when I came back.  In my case I was in the MRI scanner less than 24 hours after flying back and the PET/CT a couple of days later.

For me it was a sensible move to get on with life.  In the end I agreed with my clinical team to put off further surgery until after the New Year holiday and I was in theatre on Jan 3rd so I had a good holiday and a "last" Christmas.  I am still here nearly 3 years after diagnosis and happy as Larry :-)

If you can then do it!

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Good evening Jen, just try and take each day and week as it comes otherwise you will just create more stress, you have a lovely wedding to look forward to which i doubt will be affected by the results of your scan or biopsies. The meeting is where they all get together and discuss your results etc and come up with a plan for treatment if needed. I agree with Dani's last sentence, you will get through this as a married couple. Wishing you both all the best.

Chris xx

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge