Larynx removed

• 3 replies
  • 68 subscribers

I have just returned home after spending four weeks in hospital after having my larynx totally removed, and a stoma made in my throat, through which I now speak. It has been a long journey from having pre cancer on my voice box followed by four weeks radiotherapy five years ago, to having it totally removed.

The only advice I can give us try to be positive through all the treatment and tick off each step of the treatment. Suddenly knowing that I had cancer of the voice box was not too much of a surprise, as I had lost my voice for over seven months. 

The surgeon and Macmillan staff explained everything that I would be having done in surgery, and the steps I would go through after the surgery. This helped as nothing was a surprise on my road to recovery. It's not easy all the time but it's been amazing how my body has adapted itself to the new way of breathing and talking.

I've now been home for five days, and talking with my new voice which my friends and especially grand children find fascinating.

If you are about to go through the same operation as me, be strong and positive as after a few weeks you will be feeling much better with you new voice, and way if looking after it.

Tommoltysoe 

• Thanks for posting this lovely inspiring post,Tommmoltsoe, well done with your recovery as it's a big operation with big changes to overcome. You sound very much like me with your positive attitude and even better that you can still communicate, once you get over the first two weeks the rest seems to fall into place. I had my laryngectomy in 2010 and still going strong, wishing you all the best for your continued recovery. Take care.

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Nice one Tommo, a good read. How are you feeling generally? When I got home, again after four weeks, I didn't have the strength to stand while putting food/meds through my tube; had to be sitting down, was a slow process.

Good you're getting the hang of your voice, mentioned before (I think) that that wasn't an option for me, but I'm OK with it.

Great attitude you haveThumbsup

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Thanks for such an upbeat update. My first husband had a laryngectomy in 1987 and a year later was the loudest voice in the pub again. He coped really well so anything is possible 

Well done. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge