Post treatment

• 11 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Good morning guys and dolls.

Haven't posted in a while, so thought I would give an update!

Well 16 weeks post treatment!!! 

It's  been a hard slog, but I did it!!

First 2 weeks after treatment was horrendous,  my mouth and throat were so sore, so was thankful i had my peg, to get the fortisip drinks in!! The oramorph made me feel so sick,, so i battled on with just paracetamol. 

Week 3 it started to get better, was scared to eat at first,  so started of with yoghurts and custard! 

Dry mouth is still not good and have to drink lots of water when eating. This morning i have just ate 2 sausages  2 hash browns and some sautéed mushrooms Mushroom

,  Most mornings i have melon Melon grapes Grapes and yoghurt.

Eating is getting better, still struggle with some foods, especially spicy foods,  thats a no go at the mo.

I had my scan on 1st July and i get my results 1st August, consultant had a look with camera on 30th of june and said it's looking good still a bit of swelling and scar tissue but he couldn't see any tumour!!!! Grin

i have lost about 2 stone, but seems to be stable now.

Take care guys will update Monday when get results.

Tracey xx

• Thanks for such a lovely update. You look great. I can say that because I know how you are inside as a fellow sufferer. 
    Slowly slowly on the food and you are already getting there. Saliva improves. Chewing gum is good to get it going. 
    Have you lost the PEG? 
    Good luck for Monday … hugs. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you. 

Still have the peg!! Qhen i saw the dietitian on 30th June she said we will takw the peg out in 2 weeks, still havent heard anything. 

Really want itvremoved as I'm not using it, i just flush it once a day. I really want to lie on my belly to go to sleep lol Laughing 

Xx

• Good news. Well done for getting where you are x

• Hi Tracey you're doing great, keep up  the good work, with your  eating.

Regards Ray.

• Hi Tracy As Daninsays yiure looking good , yes uts an ordeal but we get through the tunnel and come out the other side. Sugar free gum is still my friend and water but not constantly. At nighttime I still use xyimelts maybe try them they really do help at night. Good luck for the 1st pop back on and let us know. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Well done Tracey!! 

So pleased to hear how you've gotten on following treatment. You look great and giving me so much hope. My mum finished her 6 weeks of RT on Tuesday, the final week was a hard slog as she had to be admitted for a feeding tube. 

We got her home on Tuesday night after her final RT session and it's been a pretty tough 5 days for her. 

Desperate for a drink but vomits with anything by mouth. Is OK with fortisip down her RIG though. Mouth is still so sore for her and I'm not sure if the Zomorph, Oramorph and Paracetamol are helping or not. 

For a long time we were counting down the days to the end of treatment, but now I feel we've got nothing to count down towards. How long after your last RT do you think before things got easier? 

Also a lot of loose stools, is this due to the fortisips, the meds or the RT? I'm putting it down to all the sweeteners in the liquid meds at the moment?

Sorry for jumping on your post! 

• Hiya. Well done to your mum for completing treatment. The next 2 weeks ate the hardest, ss the radiotherapy is dtill cooking you, keep on top of pain meds!! I didn't suffer with aickness or lose stools , i suffered with constipation and that made me feel aick. Keep going with the fortisips, your mum had her tube fitted quite late into treatment didn't she? I had mine fitted before treatment began. Week 3 things started to get easier, started eating yoghurt and custard, was still using tube up till week 15 but just once a day. Sleep os thebest medicine,  tell your mum to listen to her body  as the fatigue hits you like a ton of bricks, i did have a blip a few weeks back and done to much and collapsed. Take care and wishing your mum all the best xxx

• How long after your last RT do you think before things got easier? 

I wouldn’t expect much movement till three weeks. The RT has a residual effect for two to three weeks. For now it’s consolidating her strength and healing. By six weeks I was feeling much better and by twelve I had really turned a corner, feeling better and eating well. 
    Sleep and rest for now. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Tracey, and yes very late, they'd discuased doing one prior to treatment, but the consultant decided she'd be able to get enough calories in as only testing one side of neck. Unfortunately not the case. 

She's slept all day today and definitely needed. 

Thanks for all the advice Dani, it's appreciated. Feels better knowing others have been through this and come through the other side. 

Her tube is bothering her a little, she feels like it's hanging down and pulling. Does anyone have any recommendations for securing it in place? 

Thanks again! 

• I tape mine on to the side, it may also be a bit tight and need loosening, have a word with the nurse who checks it, mine came out to me to  loosen it a week orv2 after it being fitted xx