Do I have cancer of the larynx?

• 24 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi. A large lump the size of a tennis ball appeared on the left side of my neck 4 and a half weeks ago. I haven't lost weight feel generally OK. I've had a slightly hoarse voice for years which I put down to smoking. The lump appeared in the space of an afternoon. 

My GP gave  me antibiotics for a week to no effect. I was referred to ent on a 2ww. Had a nasoendoscopy and examination. This showed a swelling of the left vocal cord which is the same side as the neck lump. I need CT of head, neck and chest. Ultrasound with FNA and a biopsy under GA. The consultant told me to see GP about a small growth on my arm which I did the day after on Friday. I now have a 2ww referral for skin cancer.

I honestly don't know what to expect. I'm getting married in 9 weeks and look like I have 2 heads at the moment. I lost my husband of 33 years 5 years ago and I can't stand the thought of my children losing me too. Has anybody had these symptoms and come out of it OK?

Thanks for reading. 

• Hi Mr Larynx

This week has been hard. I've had a contrast ct scan, bloods done, a mammogram and a pre op assessment. I'm now waiting for a date for biopsies of my throat and the neck lump and have the skin cancer clinic on Friday. It's the waiting that's hard I just want to get sorted before the wedding. Thanks for the reply x

• hi Jen. it's all just a big wait when we have tests and x.rays.  when I have appointments I say to myself that if I get out in about three hours then that's not too bad. I always take a pen and paper and I write my own words down to nice songs that I know because it takes my mind off the waiting and any worry I might have. before I know it i,m in and out and it works for me, Jen. I've written a few songs over the last few years and I hope to raise some dosh for cancer research and the n.h.s when I feel ready to do that venture. l hope you have a great week Jen. keep in touch and let me know how you're getting on.  i know that it sounds crazy for me to sing without a voice but Jen I have the will and i have a way 

• Hi. I don't know what they have found on the CT scan but my biopsies have moved forward. The ultrasound biopsy of the neck lump in on 5th August and the throat operation on the 9th. ENT have now phoned and said that before these I need to have a pet ct scan. Can anybody tell me if this means they have already found cancer on the original ct and are trying to stage it.? I feel very much in the dark at the moment. Thanks in advance. Jen. 

• Hi Jen. Best ask your CNS why they need a PET. PETs are usually to see if there is anything suspicious anywhere else in the body ( normally the scan is from head to mid thigh) or to check treatment had been effective. 
    As I said though the best answer will be from your team. Anybody here would be guessing. 
    Nobody  can tell you have cancer for certain  till it’s biopsied. 
    i didn’t have a scan till 16 weeks after treatment but others here did have a diagnostic PET. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge