Do I have cancer of the larynx?

• 24 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Hi. A large lump the size of a tennis ball appeared on the left side of my neck 4 and a half weeks ago. I haven't lost weight feel generally OK. I've had a slightly hoarse voice for years which I put down to smoking. The lump appeared in the space of an afternoon. 

My GP gave  me antibiotics for a week to no effect. I was referred to ent on a 2ww. Had a nasoendoscopy and examination. This showed a swelling of the left vocal cord which is the same side as the neck lump. I need CT of head, neck and chest. Ultrasound with FNA and a biopsy under GA. The consultant told me to see GP about a small growth on my arm which I did the day after on Friday. I now have a 2ww referral for skin cancer.

I honestly don't know what to expect. I'm getting married in 9 weeks and look like I have 2 heads at the moment. I lost my husband of 33 years 5 years ago and I can't stand the thought of my children losing me too. Has anybody had these symptoms and come out of it OK?

Thanks for reading. 

• So sorry to see you here Jen. I can understand how worried you must be. I've never heard of a cancer appearing in a day and as far as I know the usual presenting symptom of laryngeal cancer is a hoarse voice. Waiting is the worst part but all you can do is keep busy. At least you are in the system now and things will start moving pretty fast. 

Could I advise you, though to keep off Google. There is much useful info there but sifting through it is a nightmare.

You don't know you have cancer till you know and 90% of referrals are not.

best wishes

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you Dani it's just a waiting game at the moment x

• Hi Jen Sorry from me as well. As we all know the waiting’s the worst part, most of us on here have been through the same. Your life’s ticking along nicely them wham you have been hit by a steam  roller. Your head will be all over the place ,just try to remember  90% of referrals in the cancer pathway aren’t cancer it’s the quickest way of being seen especially post covid. If you are unlucky enough to join us in here head and neck cancers do respond  very well to treatment as many if us in here can testify. 
    As Dani says there lots of good info on Google but unless you know where to look many stick on here we will try to help you through. Rant away on here. As for your wedding just carry in with the planning that’s all you can do. If you do need treatment it all takes time in the planning stages .Remember also skin cancers are also easily treated when caught early my brother  in law had a melanoma 4 years ago on his forehead he had minor surgery and is still with us .

I am also almost b4 years post treatment for tonsil cancer withn7 affected lymph nodes  happily living my life. Sorry your husband died, but pleased for you you’ve got a 2 nd chance. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Awe thank you in staying positive at the moment but this lump is literally dragging me down as its pressing on things it shouldn't be x

• I hope your investigations happen soon, Jen. Have you any idea when? Results are usually available two weeks later. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening Jen89, personally i have never heard of a lump this size just appearing, when i had cancer of the Larynx my GP thought it was a boil on the middle of my neck but as soon as my consultant saw it he knew what it was. Im sure if your consultant saw you he would have given you a hint if he/she thought it was a cancerous tumour, maybe he wants to be certain with the scans etc before committing either way, although i had two tumours beforehand so my history was against me. We all know that the waiting game is the worst part and we tend to fear the worst but as Dani and Hazel said 90% are not its just these figures are not published as much as the 10% where it is cancerous, i myself have had lumps appear and disappear and still have a small one on my neck which all were tested, scanned and found to be all clear. Try and carry on with looking forward to your wedding rather than thinking about the lump, you will have quite a busy time with appointments, scans, biopsies etc now you are in the system. Whichever way it goes you will be surprised how good the N.H.S is offering the best treatment should it be needed. Wishing you all the best for the upcoming weeks and months, take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi again Jen, please let the consultant know it's giving you discomfort or interfering with your breathing in any way.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• How do I add a photo x

• I suppose I'm just scared. I'm sorry x

• It's OK Jen. We were all scared and know how you feel. Hang on in there.

How do I add a photo x

Click on Insert under the reply you are making then click on image but don't post a photo of your lump. The mods won't allow it.

Dani 

Community Champion badge