Sorry! Entirely trivial question about exercise and nutrition

• 28 replies
  • 72 subscribers

First of all it may help those of you who are just beginning treatment to know that I am 20 months post treatment for base of tongue cancer. Treatment consisted of 35 rounds of radiotherapy, 5 out of 6 chemotherapy sessions and a neck dissection. Plus a tonsillectomy in the course of searching for the origin, a stomach feeding tube during treatment and various other indignities which I won’t go into here.

And…I am well! So well that I’ve signed up to do a MacMillan Mighty Hike next week. Only 15 miles admittedly but it will be a challenge for me at the great age of 63 and having always been averse to exercise.

I can cope with the dry mouth issue with the help of Zylimelts, gum and a camelback (plus the walk is in Wales so hoping and assuming it won’t be hot :)

But I’m wondering about snacks to keep energy levels up. Everything seems to contain loads of sugar as I suppose that’s what gives you the energy. At the moment this is a one off so I guess it’s not critical if I have a few jelly babies without being able to clean my teeth properly. But strangely the whole experience of treatment and doing the limited training I’ve done for this event has inspired me to keep going. I’d like to do more long distance walks, cycle rides etc. Pre treatment I would have taken chocolate bars, flapjacks etc to give me a boost but these now seem like dental Armageddon. So those of you who run marathons or go on mega cycle rides (eg Hazel), what would you recommend if anything? Thanks.

• Thank you so much everyone, both for the practical advice and the inspiration. I can’t wait to do it now! Xx

• Great photos with lovely views, so pleased you are getting on and enjoying your life , it goes to show that life after cancer can be rewarding and worthwhile. Thanks again for this uplifting post. 

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Couldn’t agree more, before my operations, I did triathlons, lots of cycling, climbing in Wales etc. My consultant told me off for doing too much training during my recovery, but it’s exercise that Blushpt me going and gave me a goal. Sunday I did my second triathlon, and although more tired than usual it felt good. Your pictures are great Blush

• Best Wishes on your trek Knitty and Thank You Very Much for the tip on Xylimelts; I have just found a trial pack of 4 for 95p on Google and they are on their way. I have been struggling with dry mouth for months now and I will try anything new that helps.

• Being put to shame in this thread, I had a look at the "fan dance" on Youtube because I'd not heard of it....and I was exhausted just watching the videos! Fair play , that's some achievement.

Personally I'm not in a good place physically, my "fighting weight" is around 12 stone and I'm currently 14. Used to walk endless miles with my wife, but doing it on my own just doesn't feel right; I also keep contemplating buying a bike but I wonder if I'd be able to get the motivation to use it. Mentioned it quite recently I know but I'm just a bit crap at being single.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• As a Personal Trainer my first question would be what are you knowingly doing to get from 12 to 14 stone? My second question is where do you want to be in 3 years time fitness wise? 

That 3 year goal for I would then break down into the next 12 months and then what we have to do in the next 3 months, 1 month and next week and tomorrow.

I'd buy the bike that's a start and be OK with being single, write down all the benefits of being single.

• The main thing I have to accept is I'm slower and need the rest because of fatigue.

• Yes that can be a problem. My main one early on was having unrealistic expectations and coping with the failure that came as a result. We all start off thinking we are invincible and it’s a heck of a shock when we discover we are not. For a lot of us the battle is with our minds. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Fatigue plagued me for a good  while. I could do what I  I wanted but had to listen to my body and became an expert at the 20 minute power nap eventually. Fatigue hit me worse around the 4 month mark into recovery. Just shows we are all different. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Appreciate the thought and the intent my friend, and it makes sense; but you lost me with "write down the benefits of being single". I may get to that place one day but not just yet.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/