Still Waiting for Biopsy Results

• 16 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi Everyone

Just wanted some advice if this is normal.  I had my Tongue Biopsy on the 19th May.  The Consultant said I would get the results in about 2 weeks.

On the same day, the 19th May the Hospital sent me a letter saying my next appointment would be on the 23rd June.  They also sent a letter to my Dr and to my Dentist on the 19th May saying that I would get the results in about 2 weeks

On Saturday 18th June I got a letter cancelling my appointment on the 23rd June and re scheduled it to the 30th June

I am currently seeing a Practice Nurse twice a week for another matter and I asked her if this was normal, i.e. scheduling a result appointment 5 weeks after the biopsy has taken place and she said IF it was Cancer, they would want to see me ASAP to discuss a treatment plan, however she advised me not to take that as gospel because she is not obviously involved in my case.

So am I being naïve thinking considering the time span that has passed since the 19th May and the fact that they have cancelled and re scheduled that "no news is good news"  or am I kidding myself?

Hope the above makes sense!

• Hi Dani

No I was replying to Peter's post.  He said he had 5cm squared which is a large area for a small tumour

• Oops sorry. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Darcy

That is what the surgeon told me he would take before the abandoned operation.  I am not sure if that is common or not - I do know that he has been a great surgeon when he has operated on me before.  I guess he was looking at very good margins to avoid radiotherapy if at all possible.

I have not lost any taste as a result of the operations.  The comment came, once again from my surgeon, when discussing the effects of radiotherapy on taste in-so-much that radiotherapy damages the taste nerves but they can slowly recover whilst surgery if they have to (key point) cut the taste nerve then there is no healing.

I had the biopsy having detected the tumour on 27 Jan 2021, one week post seeing a change on the nasaloscopy.  I went in for the glossectomy on 30 March 2021.  All the scans in between did not detect the tumour, but I had the results within 10 days.  

Remember this was all in the height of covid lockdown.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi all

Saw the Consultant this morning, I have Squamous cell carcinoma. Its very very small. He checked My neck glands/ lymph nodes and could not feel anything however my MRI will pick up if it has spread. He is also going to do a neck dissection on me and remove the lymph nodes as a precaution.  

He is very "happy" that is very small if I can use that word, he said he would remove about 1cm diameter.   MRI with contrast is on the 6th July and CT scan and speech therapy appointment on the 8th.  Surgery will probably be W/c 18th July.

My job involves a lot of talking on the phone to customer's and suppliers so naturally I am quite anxious about my speech and recovery as I do not get sick pay, but I have no idea how I will feel mentally or physically afterwards

Can anyone advise what I might go through?

• Have a look at peters bio, Darcy. The greatest issue will be with the neck dissection if you have just a small surgery on your tongue. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi

Yes I have but not really any none the wiser.  I think I will sign off here for now anyway and thank you all for your kind advice