Dry mouth and throat during especially when exercising

• 11 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hello.

Finished treatment for tonsil and lymph nodes cancer 7 weeks ago.

Any advice for what to use during day for dry mouth and throat. Already using Oralieve spray and the biotene gel .

Any other products you recommend please?

• Hi John well done in getting through treatment. I chewed and still do xylitol sugar free chewing him I tend to use orbit from supermarkets in blue tubs. IAlso add a course of auricular  acupuncture which kickstarted my saliva didn’t mean that I no longer carried water everywhere j did but now can spend a few hours without it. At night still use xyimelts 1] of one. In early days I had a platypus hydration kit when on bike so coukd drink when I needed to. Boots do a dry mouth spray as well small bottle lasts ages. Plus on prescription I get bioxtra mouth wash p h neutral. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi John I’ve started to trick my mouth & throat , if it’s dry I drink milk , yes it does make my mouth all slimy but then I use a mouthwash after , my mouth & throat are different every day , one minute dry , the next slimy x

1. Aly14
  • I’ll echo the chewing gum. I don’t need it every day but sometimes. I always have it with me though 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening John, i was like you and use Biotene gel, you should see some improvement over the next six months as a lot of it is the recovery of the saliva glands. Nowadays i always have a bottle of water or juice with me i even make a flask of tea when i go out on a longer trip. Unfortunately, i cannot chew any gum so maybe this will help as Dani and Hazel have mentioned. All the best.

Chris .

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi John

When I go out walking I used to use a xylimelt and it seems to keep my mouth hydrated, also carried water. Xylimelts also great to use at night so you don't wake up with a very dry mouth. Like Chris I cannot use the xylitol sugar free chewing gum because of lack of teeth but it is definitely worth a go. Don't use it if you have dentures though as it sticks to them and is very hard to get off.

Dry mouth does improve over time but with different people to different levels. I still have issues after my first radiotherapy in 2013.

Good luck

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi John,

I'm going through the same as you with a dry mouth. Im just making sure i'm sipping loads of water to keep my mouth moist. I also chew gum to stimulate saliva.

Lee

T4 N2 M0 left oropharyngeal SCC (grade 3, p16)

• I finished my radiotherapy on 23-Jul-21 and I still suffer with a dry mouth while eating. I have tried all the gels and sprays but none of them seem to help at all. I van manage tom shew a few pieces of meat, chicken, beef. pork, etc., with lashings of gravy and fluids (Ensue Shakes, Water, etc.) and then my saliva glands stop working and I am left with a lump of nothing in my mouth.

Take Care Y'All (4th July coming up up Yeeha)

• Sorry Hazel.  I flagged your post by mistake.  Sorry xx

• It’s fine we all do it. It will reappear at some point 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I have asked over and over again for the flagging process to be two step. Nobody seems interested. When there are lots of mods about these posts get reinstated fairly quickly but at other times they don’t. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge