Feeding tube and likely consequences of RT

• 54 replies
  • 76 subscribers

I start my RT in under 4 weeks, 6 weeks so 30 sessions, and I'll be given 6 sessions of chemo so 1 a week

As I'm having RT to both tonsil sites they want me to have a feeding tube, which I'm dead against, in fact I hate the very thought of it.

How much pain am I likely to be in here, my appointment in oncology today was bleak, they basically said if I don't get enough protein treatment may stop, but from what I've heard the worst symptoms start after the 6 weeks of treatment.

I suppose the reality may be that I experience double the symptoms of others here, is that even manageable 

There must be a solution to this, I thought if I took regular pain killers then I'd be OK, 

• Mark !!!!!!!!  Night night. Not saying anything about you feeling fighting fit by middle if next week  apart from  it ain’t going to happen !!!!!!

hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi I was told at start of treatment ni peg but if I needed a n g tube that woujd be fitted and bit different j need it in my case I went from eating ok one day ti nothing the next. No I wasn’t offered white cell boosters. 
    hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I haven’t been offered a choice to have a PEG. They said if I need help with eating they will put in a nose feeding tube. Am still able to eat meals, albeit small and slowly and today everything tasted horrible except coconut ice cream .That so relieves and soothes my mouth. Took paracetamol today before my meal as RT nurse recommended this. Have a spray too if needed. Had 2 RT sessions quite close together… 7 at night and 8 in the morning today. I really felt my body has been shocked by this, I could be imagining this of course. Also started white cell booster injections today. Anyone had these ? 

Hi. I had an NG tube at the end of week three for nine weeks. It saved my life. It's not uncomfortable but looks strange. Your blood tests must be indicating a trend to neutropenia so I guess they want to boost your blood cells to prevent you getting infection during chemo. Macmillan have something about it HERE

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Mark, good to hear from you and glad you've you've now had your last treatment!!   Woo hoo, road to recovery now for you.

I too wasn't sure about the PEG and I have had slight bleeding from mine this weekend so keeping a close eye on it.  I'm still managing to eat, albeit slowly - porridge/soup/custard/rice pudding/weetabix and taking the ensure drinks to supplement.  I'm in Scotland and didn't seem much of a choice with the PEG, sounds like it's a bit different down south.  I've seen a few folk mention the water as well and needing co-codamol in it........water is about the only drink I am drinking and it is soothing- maybe the good old Scottish Water :)