Feeding tube and likely consequences of RT

• 54 replies
  • 77 subscribers

I start my RT in under 4 weeks, 6 weeks so 30 sessions, and I'll be given 6 sessions of chemo so 1 a week

As I'm having RT to both tonsil sites they want me to have a feeding tube, which I'm dead against, in fact I hate the very thought of it.

How much pain am I likely to be in here, my appointment in oncology today was bleak, they basically said if I don't get enough protein treatment may stop, but from what I've heard the worst symptoms start after the 6 weeks of treatment.

I suppose the reality may be that I experience double the symptoms of others here, is that even manageable 

There must be a solution to this, I thought if I took regular pain killers then I'd be OK, 

• Hi Mark good to hear from you am sure I speak fir everyone you’ve betn in our thoughts. Yes it’s  horrid but yours getting there. Look forward to update 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I understand completely about the taste thing Mark.  Nothing and no-one can quite prepare you for what that's like!  It's very demoralising.

The good news is that very slowly you will find improvements.

Seeing as one of your chemo friends has constipation, I take it you are taking laxatives?

Linda x

• Thanks Hazel  hi Linda  , me being me I ignored the laxative meds as I started on morphine , big mistake, my chemo buddy started morphine after two weeks, too early really, my meds were all over the place, I was on children's neurofen until 3 weeks  morphine was a massive help.

I seem to recover quickly on weekends, I'm hoping my taste will see some gradual improvements day by day ,

I honestly have never looked forward to a Friday as much as I am now at this moment.

• Are you taking the steroidtablets after chemo?? They really perked my husband up but was a big shock when they finished

• Eeek!  It's easy to underestimate how awful constipation can be.  The last thing anyone needs with everything else!

Friday will be a big day for you.  Don't expect the side effects of treatment to start getting better straight away.  It can be a slow process but everyone recovers at their own speed.

All the best.

Linda x 

• Hi it’s the steroids that make you feel ok then towards weekend they wear off it’s a steroid high you feel then a low. Ring the bell loud and clear on Friday. Then hunker down as you will still be feeling the effects if treatment fircs goid fewxweejs after remember! 
    goid luck xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hey Mark. Good to hear from you. Get your head down and just drag yourself through the next few weeks. It's al we can do. Be kind to yourself. Food will taste much better by Christmas XX

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks all, yes steroids kept me awake on chemo day, but once on the correct pain killers I slept well, I miss coffee and tea, but iv got used to 500 cals a day I never was a foody, I'm wondering now if the chemo and associated drugs cause a false sense of recovery, I feel fine today for example, yet yesterday I was washed out by bed time, I know its a progressive treatment but I'm really hoping to be active to some degree by the middle of next week, 

Nothing would surprise me, I had an awful week 4 , briefly thinking I wanted to give up, luckily the new pain regime sorted that, then a few days later I was doing some house work and went for a walk, very strange as it doesn't seem to fit in with the progressive nature of the treatment. 

I've been told I'm in the minority with my eating I just hope that remains the case post treatment.

Then I suppose I must face the worry, has it gone, will it come back etc.

Good night all :)

• Just to add the 2.5 cm lump on my neck has reduced by 90% , I can't see the tumour in my mouth that was next to my tonsil anymore  but it is swollen in there.

• I haven’t been offered a choice to have a PEG. They said if I need help with eating they will put in a nose feeding tube. Am still able to eat meals, albeit small and slowly and today everything tasted horrible except coconut ice cream .That so relieves and soothes my mouth. Took paracetamol today before my meal as RT nurse recommended this. Have a spray too if needed. Had 2 RT sessions quite close together… 7 at night and 8 in the morning today. I really felt my body has been shocked by this, I could be imagining this of course. Also started white cell booster injections today. Anyone had these ?