Lymphadena in hot weather

• 10 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Hi, I have noticed my neck feeling more puffy & swollen when the hot weather started recently in the UK. I am not in the sun, well shaded & protected, wide brim hat etc but the general heat seems to have flaired it up. My physio had told me to avoid jacuzzis etc as this can be a problem. Is this something any one else has experienced?

thx

• Hi Steve I am yet to see anyone about it but I have a steam shower which I have used today and yesterday for 20 minutes at 45 degrees  which I think has helped things along to lose the turkey neck . All the best Regards Min Max 

• Are you doing your massage and e excuses as often as you can? 
    And drinking 3 litres of water a day? 
    lymphodema can be a real pain. I sympathise

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Yip, had a tooth out 3 wks ago which is very slow to heal, which isn’t helping the lymph system. Will keep at it. Find a cold compress can help a bit too. 

•  Hi Dani does drinking water help as I have it also not bad I think it has improved with walking and swimming . All the Best Regards Minmax

• Keeping super hydrated does help. The lymph channels in the area are damaged which is why you swell. Anything to massage the area helps too which is why swimming is helping you. There’s a section on lymphodema in my blog with a video. Try doing the massage? 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani I will have to start my water thing again . I use to drink a pint every morning when I wake up All the best Regards MinMax

• Slightly old post, but op i am having the same issues now that summer is upon us.

I am doing my exercises but i get the swelling under my chin and pain in the area where the tumour was

My consultant who does my check ups is completely disinterested and didnt even check my properly at the last check (he was running 3 hours late and had me in and out within 60 seconds). It seems the treatment of  Lymphedema is not extensive within the nhs.

• I found that doing neck exercises while wearing a Hereford Collar really helped. That on top of doing Dani’s exercises two or three times a day (50 strokes at a time). Mine has almost gone now but if I don’t do the morning exercises it begins to creep back in a couple of days. Hopefully one day it’ll disappear forever!

• It does go Mark. Strangely on the odd occasion I feel a little tight around my neck when j get up in the morning but a couple of days massage and it’s gone 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • I think you are right about how the response is different from one trust to another. I mentioned it at my last clinic and my oncologist shrugged his shoulders and said its normal. 

Mine isn't painful, just looks odd when it wobbles. The exercises do help reduce it though.