Having a PEG - What to expect?

• 20 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hello All,

I had a phone call today saying that I will be having a PEG fitted on May 25, can you please advise me what to expect?

Thanks Neutral face

• On the confirmation there is a photo of a Merck Biomaterials PEG, is this different to the Monarch suggested by Seeker1?

It is different, but I had two PEGs also not the model Seeker posted, and had no pain issues at all other than my first night home with the first one. And that was my own stupid fault because I went to bed without taking the pain killers I'd been advised to. Seeker obviously had pain issues but it's not a problem for most I don't think.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• avanos.co.uk/.../HC210-01-UK_CORFLO_PEG_PatientBooklet_2019.pdf

ACCIDENTAL REMOVAL OF THE CORFLO* PEG: • However, if the PEG tube is pulled out accidentally, you must inform your healthcare professional immediately, so that a replacement gastrostomy tube can be put in as soon as possible to keep the stoma open. • The doctor or healthcare professional might replace the tube by a balloon gastrostomy tube or low-profile gastrostomy tube (e.g. MIC* G-tube or MIC-KEY* G-tube) of the same French size. •

I had trouble with a balloon tube until it was changed in a different hospital with the monarch one. My first hospital said just take painkillers for weeks. 

• FAILED

After all the mental preparation, the PEG procedure could not be completed as the operator could not see the light shining through the stomach wall.

I will now have to return for something call a RIG, using x-rays to locate the feeding tube.

Anyone advise please?

• https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/patient-education/peg-pej-tube-feeding

Can you please tell us if it was a peg or pej. Same tube just in a different place.

I and I suppose others are greatly interested to know why this failed. I have never yet heard of it failing before. They usually I think they put a wire tube (at least that is what they do when they change pegs sometimes) through the hole they make. I suppose you have the hole in your body so where is the light supposed to shine through from. Where is the light, inside you? It seems to me the operator for some reason made the hole in your body but didnt complete it right through to your stomach or bowels, it is not that far at all hardly a few inches. I would greatly like to know why. I think a RIG is the same tube but inserted differently. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12727170/

I dont know but I think my peg, done while I had an operation on my stomach, was done from the inside to the outside. I suppose that is a lot easier to do. Doing it from the outside one has to find the stomach wall at a good place since it can move about, it must be a lot harder. 

I dont know what kind of advice you expect from us about this. 

• it was a PEG

We never got as far as inserting any needles as they could not choose the correct position as the operator could not see the endoscope light shining through the stomach wall. I suppose that they did want you risk puncturing my bowel, or anything vital.

I only seek advice from those with experience of Radiologically inserted gastrostomy (RIG); I will maybe start a new thread to avoid any mix-ups.

• Ouch....can't you ask them to give you a nasogastric tube when you need it?

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • No pain Dani, just a bit of discomfort and drowsiness.

an NG tube would spoil my looks - and street-cred Wink

• There is that Grimacing

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • https://www.healthline.com/health/feeding-tube-insertion-gastrostomy#procedure

Before the procedure, you need to remove any jewelry or dentures. You’re then given an anesthetic and something to relieve pain.

While you’re lying on your back, your doctor places the endoscope in your mouth and down your esophagus. The camera helps the doctor visualize your stomach lining to ensure that the feeding tube is positioned properly.

When your doctor can see your stomach, they make a small incision in your abdomen. Next, they insert the feeding tube through the opening. They then secure the tube and place a sterile dressing around the site. There may be a little drainage of bodily fluids, such as blood or pus, from the wound.

The whole procedure usually lasts less than an hour.

The feeding tube can be temporary or permanent, depending on the primary reason for the feeding tube.---

I cant understand how the light didnt shine through.

• When it’s time for your procedure, you will be brought into the procedure room and helped onto an exam table. You will be attached to equipment to monitor your heart rate, breathing, and blood pressure. You will also receive oxygen through your nose. Your nurse will place a mouth guard over your teeth to protect them.

You will receive anesthesia (medication to make you sleepy) through your IV. Once you’re asleep, your doctor will pass the endoscope (a tube with a camera on it) through your mouth, down your esophagus (food pipe), into your stomach, and into the first part of your small intestine. Your doctor will check your stomach and small intestine before placing your PEG or PEJ tube.

Your doctor will make a tiny incision (surgical cut) on the skin of your abdominal (belly) wall and pass a feeding tube through the incision. The feeding tube will come out about 8 to 12 inches (20 to 30 centimeters) outside your body and will be covered by a small dressing (bandage) to keep it in place. When your doctor has finished the procedure, they will take out the endoscope. Your doctor will take out the endoscope once they’re done with the procedure.---