Chemoradiation

• 9 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Started my treatment last Wednesday. 30 x Rt and 2 x Cistplatin.  Has been a very eventful first week but I'm still here!

Had a not great reaction to the chemo so started RT a day late. Obviously will talk to the oncologist, just wondering if anyone knows why they do chemo first on the day you have both? Don't want to miss a radiotherapy but if I'm not great again I don't think I could face it.

Great to hear from other experiences,

Julie x

• Hi Julie. Glad you survived? 
    Sorry don’t know the answer but just wanted to offer a little bon mot 

RT is the mainstay with the cisplatin adding maybe 8% to your chances of cure. So that’s an extra 4 done and dusted. Not everybody has the whole course. 
    What happened, by the way? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Julie the chemo makes the tumour s’more responsive to the radiotherapy  it starts to weaken the cancer cells probably the simplest explanation I was given .

The chemo adds 5-8 %to the overall success rate I was planned 3 treatments but my 3 rd was cancelled after consultation with oncologist. Some have them all I know some who only had 1 and couldn’t take  any more talk it over with your oncologist. I didn’t have  the 3 rd as my lymph node had gone plus I had had no side effects so jointly decided  not to have the e 3 rd. 

Hope this helps 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• PS. Strangely one research has shown that the earlier in the day you have your radiotherapy the less likely you are to have bad mucositis. The worst time is early afternoon. 
    no idea if there is anything in it. My times were all over the place and I needed tube feeding for 8 weeks. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani interesting all but 6 of mine were 0830 2 were late afternoon 4 lunchtime.
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Oh Dani, have had quite a laugh about it now.  Not the best start ever is a tad of an understatement Joy

Weds, chemo.  Just finished last bag of fluid, went to loo, felt a bit lightheaded. Sat down, bit clammy, heart thumping, told the nurse, she gave me (I think) anti-histamine and something else. Got taken to other area for ecg, ended up on ward overnight.

Thurs RT OK, though Hazel you were so right about how tight the mask is after chemo, Fri RT ok.

Sat & Sun felt really rough but managing.

Mon, acid reflux all day, (annoying as only since my surgery, have never had before) lots of Gaviscon.  Went up for shower, sat on bed, really bad chest pain going into back.  Phoned hospital chemo line who told me to phone an ambulance!!  Had to chew 4 asprin - yuk (expired 2017 but still ok Laughing) First responder, all checked, ecg etc, need to go to hospital for bloods.  Couple hours wait for ambulance and off I went.  Into 'Minors', about 16 other people, sat in chair for 2 hours totally despondant.  Finally went in, took info, onto table, not great person tried to take blood, couldn't get it, told the nurse I was starting to feel a bit warm etc and next thing came round with an oxygen mask and crash team - oops!!!  Through to Majors, spent the night on a trolley, more bloods - no heart attack - yay!!   Got sent to discharge lounge as RT in 2 hours.  Real low, had nice chat with Macmillan lady on phone though!  RT went ok though think I looked like a total greasy haired hobo covered in cotton wool balls by this point!

Tues, bit better, RT ok.

Weds, RT ok.  Got a few bits done but thought would have quick lie down in aft.  Felt a bit of a shiver so thought would take temp, 37.5.  Checked it a few times, went up once but I thought the card said over 37.5 so ok.  Got my son to bring me the card about 5.40pm, realised it's 37.5 or above.  Thought I'd better phone expecting "take 2 paracetemal" or keep an eye on it but told I had to go straight in - noooooooo!!  Needed to be by 6pm fo the unit or would have to be A&E again - noooooooo Laughing  Husband out - phoned lovely neighbour who whisked me there, was 10 mins late but they still let me in!  Lovely staff, same ACP from Weds!  Into chair, obs done - time for blood.  Can you see where this is going Unamused  First nurse - 2 tries.  Sister Dracula herself next, just managing to squeeze some out, finished when I started to feel a bit clammy.............Hello crash cart Joy  Luckily they still let me go home after.  And they all think I'm hilarious!

So basically 2 x vasovagel.  Annoying as I have no problem with needles or blood being taken, even if it takes a couple of attempts, it's totally out of my control and I feel like such a drama queen!!  Have more bruises and pin holes than you can shake a stick at but hey ho!!!!

Pleased to say RT today no probs, finding the mask completely bearable.

I think that is what you call an interesting first week!!

• Hi Julie deffo more interesting than my first week of treatment. When’s your next meeting with oncologist? I would have a word with him they may  discontinue chemo. Glad the til about mask helped. 

onwards and upwards 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

• with the benefit of hindsight and less chemo brain, the main drama has really been from having the bloods taken!  My RT contact Aleysha is amazing, she has spoken to him and he is aware of what has happened so I will see what he says, but in reality nothing actually awful has happened, it's a series of little hiccups that have been sorted, would not want to repeat the week but still ok to go ahead if he thinks so.  Does make for a great story though, even more so with the splendid bruises to back it up Joy

I think my main lesson learned is how up and down this is.  I was not prepared for how grim the chemo makes you feel but today I am feeling good.  I am also really balancing out the being positive for everyone I really care about with a good wail at the hospital when required!  (The 3 gentlemen in RT on Tues a.m took it really well when I sat down and started bawling at them Sweat smile

Anyway, can't stay up past 10pm these days!!

Take care all, thanks so much for being there for me yet again xxxxxxxx

• Hi Julie. Haven’t checked in for a while so only just reading about your experiences. What a shame, poor thing, not the start that you were hoping for. Really pleased that things seem to have settled down at least until the 2nd dose of chemo!! Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes to plan next week xx

• Hi, I had a similar issue with cisplatin. Felt nauseous & clammy. Heart rate was 29 BP 60/ 30. Crash cart out & eventually got some drugs to increase my heart rate etc. They wouldn't give me cisplatin again, I had carboplatin instead which wasn't nearly so toxic.

Cathy