Post op, partial glossectomy, sore throat concern

• 5 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Dear all,

I am 5 and half months post op, (partial glossectomy/level 1-4 neck dissection/free flap/tracheostomy, t1n0m0), over the last 3 weeks I have had a persistent sore throat which appears to be at the back of my tongue in the lingual tonsil area.

I can't get into see the team due to Covid, I have seen my gp nurse practitioner, however it's difficult to see that far back. I did wonder if it could be part of the healing process, with nerves coming back etc. However I am also worried about whether its a new instance, the original was two small legions 8mm/5mm, front side and directly under, described as multifocal.

They said everything had been excised by surgery, I am worried however trying to remain grounded.

Has anyone else experienced throat pain after this kind of surgery?

Thanks in advance.

• Hi Mr Fox. Are you being over adventurous with food. That’s the usual thing that bugged me at the beginning though I didn’t have any surgery but I did have RT to the back of the throat. 
    I did once bring a check up forward as I was worried like you and my oncologist found an apthous ulcer. 
    My inclination would be to contact my CNS and get a scope organised. At least your mind wound be put at rest. I’m sure they would see you if you are showing new symptoms. 
    Best wishes 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Mr Fox

I had robotis surgery to remove the tumour from the base of my tongue in June 2018 and I still get a sore throat.

As Dani has suggested, it could be food but to be absolutely sure I would contact your clinical nurse at the hospital to arrange for a nasoendoscopy so they can check the area properly.

All the best

Linda x

• Hi Mr Fox

i have to agree with the others contact your c n s tomorrow. I was told at my last face to face the consultant s are ready and waiting they don’t want anyone putting off being seen. Her parting wodds  were my next face to face 6 months but in meantime I shouldn’t hesitate ringing if I have any concerns. Like you said your g p cant see far enough a quick look with scope will put your mind  at ease.  
    best wishes Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi, MrFox, I agree with what the others have said and contact your team. I am just over 3 years post treatment, I still get a sore throat from time to time. In my caes it is mostly caused by silent reflux, which I take Gaviscon advance for.

Regards Ray.

• Thanks all, appreciate the feedback, I have reached out to the Team