Factor 50 sunscreen

• 23 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi guys, now that spring is just around the corner and boy what a gloriously sunny day we’re having, can I ask if any of you have recommendations for Factor 50 sunscreen. There are so many on the market I don’t know where to start. Thank you

Carol

• Thanks for another suggestion Linda

Carol

x

• MarkEL 

Yes it makes sense doesn’t it as children’s delicate skin would be more prone to burning.

Carol

x

• Hi Sophie66

Thank you for your reply. We sometimes see the Australian saying “slip, slip, slip” on TV. I’ve never been one to sunbathe and if I’m out on a sunny day I have to sit in the shade rather than the full sun. I do wear a sun hat but it’s been a bog standard one so I’ve started to look into getting one that gives factor 50 protection.  I’ve been looking at the Tilley range as I already have a Tilley hat. We lived in Gibraltar for 4 years and I always applied sunscreen there, so it’s not something new that I must now do but because of the cancer I need to increase from a 30 to factor 50 and also not just apply it on really sunny and hot days.

Carol

• Hi Rhondda

I was wondering why you needed such high protection.  I have found SPF 50  is like trying to rub toothpaste into my skin as it takes ages to absorb and it makes me look  like a ghost if I don’t get it all rubbed in.

It brings me to the discussion we seem to have often here in Australia around the need for vitamin D and the issue related to osteoporosis if you don’t get enough.

It is a bit of a juggling act and here with so many people working inside with no natural light and then covering up when they go out there is a bit of an issue.

I have heard that you need about 10 mins every day of sun on your bare face and hands and that is enough vitamin D for your daily needs although in winter you need longer.

So covering up is important but has to be balanced with getting enough sun as well. A bit tricky.

Lyn

x

Sophie66

• Hi Lyn. I think we are talking about the bits exposed to radiotherapy. I just take care of my neck. The rest of me goes brown in a flash just working in the garden from Spring

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Sophie

Having just re-read a book on the Late and Long Term Side Effects of Cancer given to me by Macmillan it mentions using a sunscreen of at least Factor 30 so perhaps I mis-read this as Factor 50. but as Beesuit suggests if I did use a higher factor than 30 it would only be for my neck area which received the radiotherapy. The main part of my body I normally use Factor 20-30, particularly 30 if in the Mediterranean.

As for Vitamin D, I have Oesteopenia and was told to try and get outside for 20 minutes or so depending on our British weather and yes I totally agree that covering up is important but has to be balanced with getting enough sun.

Carol

x

• Hi I use superdrug factor 50 on my neck & superdrug facial factor 50 on my face. If I'm meeting people or putting makeup on, I use la roche posay facial factor 50. That's lovely- it's like a milk but its more expensive so I don't use it every day.

• Hi Cathy66, I’d not heard of La Roche Posay before so I’ve just looked it up online and also see that they do it in a  factor 30 so I think I’m going to give that one a go for my face but I’ll use Nivea on my neck and throat area. Thank you for your recommendation.

Regards

Carol

• I bought children’s factor 50 sun cream (spray on) for £3 yesterday from Morrison’s. Even better, it’s rated 5 stars whereas the adult stuff is only 3 stars (the stars basically refer to the level of balance between UVA and UVB protection). The star rating should be printed on the back of the bottle. It’s the UVB radiation that is associated with burning the skin. UVA is associated with ageing it. 

• Thanks for this MarkEL. Taking all the recommendations into account I’m going to have enough sunscreen to keep me going for some time, let’s hope we get a good summer so I can use it all LOL.