Scared of part of my treatment

• 11 replies
  • 74 subscribers

I start my treatment next Monday.  Radiotherapy 5 days a week for 6 weeks.  I’m cool with that.  It’s the chemotherapy. Every Wednesday for 6 hours for 6 weeks.  I really worry about the cannula and how I will cope. I know I have to do it but so scared. 

any tips would be appreciated! 

Samantha xx 

• Hi Samantha

I can only speak from personal experience, i didnt even notice the chemo canula once it was in, in fact with the comfy armchair the biggest challenge was not nodding off!

I did see one or two people have issues getting the needle in - and they always fetched a nurse who was nicknamed 'dracula' in those cases to help.

Have you had problems with canulas for scans in the past? If not then i think you will be ok.

Obviously if there is any discomfort when it goes in - tell them as it will be in a while, i had a urogram with contrast recently and because the nurse had trouble with getting a vein she went in half way down my forearm, that was uncomfortable - but i put up with it as it was a short procedure.

In the case of chemo i would have said 'make this more comfortable please' and NOT put up with it Slight smile

As for other tips on chemo, i would just say be religious about your anti nausea meds even when not nauseous, i religiously took three anti nausea meds, a pill (ondesteran i think) before chemo, i was given dexamethasone during treatment and then after chemo and for the next three days i took another med as a preventative.

I only had 1 mild case of nausea.... 

Trev

• I've had lots of bloods taken and cannulas inserted over the last year or so.  Each of us cope differently with needles.  Although it does not worry me I tend to not watch then do the process and most of the time I barely feel it.  Often the pain is when they take the retaining plaster off to take it out and rip a few hairs out.  How do you women cope with waxing??

I suspect a lot depends on a) the skill of the person inserting and b) the definition of your veins.

It may be that if you really do have a problem they put in a "central line" which stays in place throughout your treatment.  I think they would not really like to do that because of the infection risk, but it may be an option.

Whatever you do talk to them and tell them of your concerns.  If they understand they will do their best to make it an easy process for you. 

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Definitely agree with the skill of the nurse being a factor, my chemo nurses were always fab, but i have had some  uncomfortable blood draws when they have gone in via my forearm

Wasnt trying to make light of fear of needles, i agree we all deal with it differently, i prefer not to look as well.

Trev

• Hi Sam. Good that you gave  a plan and dates. 
    Two tips. Make sure you are properly hydrated. That makes venous access easier. Drink plenty of water before your session. 
    Take a hot water bottle to drape over your arm. If your journey is too long for it to stay warm take it empty and get the nurses to fill it. 
    Warm hydrated veins stand out nicely. 
    Good luck. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Mine was every Wednesday too Samantha. I don’t know when you last had a cannula, but the needles they use are much finer these days and less painful. I’ve had at least a dozen over the past six months and I find that as long as I relax and don’t look it’s not too bad. As Trev says, once it’s in you won’t really notice it, apart from the increasingly frequent loo trips when you have to avoid knocking it. Just take lots to read and do as it can drag a little. 
    Good luck with the treatment. 
    M

• Hi Samantha

I agree with Dani in relation to making sure that you drink plenty of water before you go for your chemo. Although the toilet stops may be a bit of a trial.

I have very small veins and when I am dehydrated they shrink to nothing and I have had several issues with nurses trying to find them including lots of bruises and attempts before they give up.

When I was given advice to make sure that I was well hydrated  the issue disappeared and my veins popped up with no more issues. I wish someone had told me about it years ago.

Good luck with the chemo. Hope it goes O.K.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Good evening Samantha, im first in the queue when it comes to not liking needles etc, i just turn the other way and grit my teeth , not that i have many left , as long as its done first time im ok but if it has to be done again because it did not go in properly then i get angry. Lets hope you get someone who is good with cannula insertions because it makes life much easier, thank fully i have only had one bad experience out of about twenty so the odds are good. Surely once its in they can leave it in until you finish the course of chemo. Sorry i dont have any miracle tips but i wish you all the best during your treatment , take care .

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Agree with everyone else about the hydration, also keep your hands warm if you can. (In the department where I had my chemo they had mini electric blankets which they would tuck my hands into as I had shy veins as well). Are you having Cisplatin? The main problem I found was the length of time it took-make sure you take plenty of things to amuse you. Try not to worry, I’m sure you will be fine. I actually ended up enjoying my treatment in a weird way, there were always different people to talk to and it was a day out!

• Another one here who agrees with Dani about hydration helping a lot, I had forgotten that

I know where you are coming from Knitty, although I did take my laptop and work on two occasions generally chemo was a chance to escape work and listen to an audio book or read my kindle

Definitely take something to read or watch.

• I was also scared at first and it hurted me but now after so many I would say hundreds it seems my skin has got used to it. I often need to have two or even three pricks. I tell them they take so much blood out there is none left. Once they even had to use my feet not able to get any blood out of my arms. I must advise you to take with pain killers you may need them during chemo (I did) and the hospital had to have permission from a doctor and in the end I never got them. Some doctors rub the area with alcohol I suppose it helps. I wish you well but you can expect a lot more canulla pricks and it is as well to get used to them. I remember I had a new nurse who couldnt do it the first time. She called another one, I said no the first one should try again or she will never learn. They said the doctor is waiting and they havent time for that.