'STAY POSITIVE' - is it me?

• 24 replies
  • 79 subscribers

Hi All

Just a quickie- one of the things i am constantly reminded to do during this ...journey is to 'stay positive', and im chided if i show any of my fears or worries and god help me if i even consider discussing the risk of metastasis.

The idea seems to be that you beat cancer with positivity! which i find silly as it insinuates those who died from it weren't 'positive enough'

I know people mean well, but i find it increasingly annoying and difficult to respond to, at times i am depressed, scared etc and dont want to be positive! and at times i want to discuss risks of complications not blindly pretend nothing can go wrong

Is this just me?  What phrases have people used on you that you find frustrating?

As an aside this site has been a genuine life saver for me, because although i wish noone on this site had ever had cancer -everyone here gets it.

Trev

• Hi Redrum. Welcome to our little community. Stick with us. We are a friendly and knowledgeable bunch eager to help. Put your mind at rest at least for yourself. His cancer is eminently curable and his survival is nobody else’s business. Struth! Aren’t some folk so tactless. Leave Google stats alone. They are out of date and alarmist. My oncologist quoted 95% to me and I’m happy with that. 
    I am 2 years clear of RT fir the same thing and living well. 
    All the best

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Mo 

Sending hugs just remember your hair will grow back the cancers being killed. Love the thought of a tam o shanter your daughters a gem. 
    Hope Sherman’s behaving himself 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Redrum. Welcome to our small  tight knit community out sorry you’ve found yourself her. We do try and answer each question as best we can. Your hubby’s cancer is eminently curable the treatment s tough snd recovery will take a whije. I am 30 month post radiotherapy for tonsil cancer with several affected lymph nodes am now living my life walking riding my bike eating pretty well. To people who ask  for survival odds they need something to do as they probably are scared themselves. I would say to them snd you kerp off google refer your acquaintances to on her they can see our success story’s. Maybe read our blogs then they will know what  your boyfriends up against . 
    Keep in touch if we can help we will

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi, Trey

It's the difference between sympathy and empathy. The people here can empathise with each other and probably say things on the forum that we couldn't say to our friends and family. Like being able to discuss metastasis. 

I am a really positive person naturally but I think it was my unrelenting competitiveness that got me through the dark days, the total need to win and not be beaten even though there were days when I could have happily curled up and died.

That being said, if I had not had my wife with me along the journey then I don't think I would have been as strong but she was neither sympathetic nor empathetic she played on my will to win and would tell me to pull myself back up and fight because she knew that's what I'd do.

The phrase that got me was "I can't believe how well you look". What were people expecting me to look like? An extra from The Night of The Living Dead? I actually looked awful, like someone had made waxwork of me and then put it in a warehouse fire. But I suppose it's better than them telling me I look like poop Poop