'STAY POSITIVE' - is it me?

• 24 replies
  • 78 subscribers

Hi All

Just a quickie- one of the things i am constantly reminded to do during this ...journey is to 'stay positive', and im chided if i show any of my fears or worries and god help me if i even consider discussing the risk of metastasis.

The idea seems to be that you beat cancer with positivity! which i find silly as it insinuates those who died from it weren't 'positive enough'

I know people mean well, but i find it increasingly annoying and difficult to respond to, at times i am depressed, scared etc and dont want to be positive! and at times i want to discuss risks of complications not blindly pretend nothing can go wrong

Is this just me?  What phrases have people used on you that you find frustrating?

As an aside this site has been a genuine life saver for me, because although i wish noone on this site had ever had cancer -everyone here gets it.

Trev

• Hi, Trev. The phase. "Are you back to normal now?" It doesn't annoy me, it makes me think if only they knew, however I hope they never do. You're right about this site, the people on here have helped me many times. All the best.

Regards Ray.

• My Dad gets wound up by the ‘it’s better than the alternative’. That’s his big bear!

Eggie

• Thanks both, those phrases are new to me, and perhaps i need to be more patient, i just feel under pressure to be relentlessly cheerful about everything and get fed up of being told how to feel. Sorry for the whinge.

• No need to apologize, you are not whinging. We all feel down at times.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yeah I get that a lot from. My work mates 

I suppose if you've never been in this situation you find it hard to raise it 

And some people feel. They need to say something to let you know they know 

I'd prefer them not raising it 

I think it's a experience we live through then just want to forget it 

That's what you assume wins the battle and I admit you need a lot of positivity to get you through the treatments 

But that alone don't win the war 

• Trev. I just learn to ignore it. I’ve always been a glass half empty girl. Positivity just doesn’t cut it for me. If you’re upbeat you simply have an easier time of it but miserable people get cured too. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I feel a bit silly starting the topic now dani :) most of the time i am fine after all!

Just tired of having to keep a permanent smile and chippy attitude.

Trev

• Hi Trev whinge away we don’t mind. I was positive that the b ....r wasn’t going to get me. I do get well meaning friends who comments like my friend had x y z cancer and she can eat. what she wants to. So I smile and  say Umm but I eat with my mouth which was burnt and chemically poisoned so maybe that’s something to do with me not managing a vindaloo (put many other foods in its place ) 

Onwards n upwards 

Hazel we all get there in the end although I think chilli will always be a no no for me .

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hello Trev. Don't get me started on the comments. The majority are "can you eat normally again now", even if I have told them it may never be 100% as it was (a hundred times before). No one seems to get it. That's why this site is such a relief-everyone gets it. The nicest comments I've had are "you're an inspiration", don't know whether that's just because I'm still alive or just people genuinely think that's a more positive comment.

That said. I leaned on my hypnotherapist heavily after treatment as I too get scared, have negative days and needed something better to focus on. He understands. He is 14 years post treatment for neck cancer and (funnily enough), his London Marsden consultant told him that 70% of the battle was a positive attitude, so who knows !! I try and stay upbeat but it's damned hard work sometimes.

Tricia

Piya10
  • No don’t apologise 

Youve probably done quite a few people a favour. They can come here to stamp about 

There are plenty of us who feel the same

I’ve tried hard to not be a cancer patient. I’m me just different. I couldn’t let the cancer go though but didn’t want it to define me so I channel that into trying to help others. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge