Eating during treatment:Tips and Recipes

• 30 replies
  • 76 subscribers

We all know how important proper nutrition is while having Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy yet we are often left unable to. There have been lots of ingenious tips from the members in the community so with grateful thanks and inspiration from

"Hi All Something to look at is the happy Pear on Utube and they do a carbonara or white sauce made with 100g of cashew nuts and milk and nutritional yeast , just liquidised and its ready  to go"

I added cream to everything I could think of particularly soups (not tomato), cereals, eggs.

is adding Fortisips to his morning Ready Brek, a clever way to both add flavour and make the horrid texture of the drink go away.

I thought I'd kick off a new thread and bump it up every week.

Over to you. Please add whatever you can think of 

• Hi my first post treatment food which surprised everyone was thin crappy white bread  toasted lashing of lurpack. Then most importantly cut into quarters to nibble to the crusts. Later followed by fruit tea cakes lots of butter then grilled cheese. Again cut into quarters used to be 450 calories which is important in at least first year. 
    Hazel 

great idea Dani will post something every week 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Gosh toast would give me pause even now hazel!

I drank lots of full fat milk with bodybuilders weight gain powder mixed in once i could drink easily.

It slowed the dramatic weight loss but wasn't exciting

My first substantial solids were faggots with a tonne of gravy

• Hi MarkEL and All , Regarding Fortisips something I literally sussed just now was the amount left in the bottle when empty. There is loads and chocolate obviously easy to see , Add  Some warm  water put lid on and shake and repeat until clear , It took me about I hot shake and 4/5 cold before its clean. I know this might sound trivial but far from it as this could be the best part of the bottle which you think you are having but is being discarded. All The Best Regards Min 

• I had been known to pour half a bottle down the plug hole when husband wasn’t looking rather than save every last morsel JoyJoy

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani I know how you feel lol . with all the tablets and laxido is putting me right off cracking another bottle open , but needs must. All the Best Regards Min

• From  on another thread 

Ground almonds in porridge or yoghurt helps beef up protein content too. I like the idea of cashews tho

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Unfortunately I couldn't eat or drink anything for 7 months...so lost around 35% of my body weight... eventually I could get down a half cup of coffee...I then had a brainwave and started dipping custard creams into the coffee...I was on 2packs a day till my weight stabilised...my consultant said get your calories where you can.  I still have half a packet daily 2years later.

chas

• As one who takes two Fortsips each day to keep up the calories, I just came across this and thought I’d share it. 

At a time when I’m trying to be ultra careful about post-R/T tooth decay, I read that:

‘Fortisips drinks have a long list of ingredients and not all of them are healthy. The 13.4 grams of sugar per serving may give the drinks a great flavour, (debatable, I know),  but it certainly isn't good for your dental health. In fact, the drinks are known to cause tooth decay in those who struggle with health problems and/or are getting on in years.’

Furthernore, NHS advice is that:

‘If you have been prescribed Fortisips, DO rinse your mouth well with water after your drink to ensure that Fortisips does not coat your teeth for the rest of the day.’

Sources:

www.nutritionlunatic.com/.../

https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patient-leaflet/caring-teeth-head-neck-radiotherapy/

• Thanks Mark. You beat me to it. Wink
    I was going to put a link to your other post here. 
    I certainly get rid of the residue and it’s important that you do. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • That is really useful to know Mark thank you - I tried a couple post tongue surgery and couldn't drink them as just too sweet.  Are there any of the other drinks (Ensure, Scandishake) that are better?  I was going to ask the dietician when my treatment starts.

Sue