Cracked tongue

• 31 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi everyone! Hope u are all as well as u can be! I'm really new to this, still trying to figure out how to navigate around it lol. Wish I'd knew about this wen I was going thru it all, there's loads of info on here i didn't know about! Dani and Hazel, I've read both ur blogs, so very interesting and informative! 

I finished 35 sessions of radiotherapy 1st Feb, for SNUC, rare cancer in the sinuses, since then I, like so many of u on here, have zero saliva. I also have an extremely cracked tongue? I've been told that's down to having no saliva... 

Does anyone have any good tips or ideas to help with the cracked tongue? 

I'm not sure if it was Dani or Hazel but someone mentioned Xylimelts which I've never heard of and Boots in my town here have one box left so someone has been dispatched to Boots as we speak! I really hope these work for me, I'm very excited! Xo 

• Hi

I'm 7 months post treatment for tonsil cancer and just wanted to let you know that I experimented also with different makes of food. So, I can't eat Aldi Quavers (too chewy) but can do Walkers Quavers-have done for last 4 months. I can't do easily, peanuts but can do cashews. I also just found Jacobs Cracker Crisps and they are great as very light and crispy. I also love cheese on toast and have managed it for last 4 months, the hotter and runnier the cheese the better. I can't do Waitrose jacket potatos, but Tesco are amazing...it's so bizarre !

All the best

Tricia

Piya10
  • Still not happy with potatoes, mashed, jacket, roast but crisps are ok. 
    Anybody else find spuds grainy and uncomfortable to swallow? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I find it depends on the type of potato. I'd honestly hardly given the type of potato a passing thought before throat cancer. Now the potato aisle takes me a lot longer :)

• Hi

I reply to comments but I'm not sure they are being seen and there are comments made which make no sense, so I must be missing things (hope you get this).

7 months post and mash can be grainy although shop bought is better. Stumbled across Tesco jacket potatos and they are really smooth and creamy, Asda is a good runner up. I can manage all potato as long as hot, as soon as they cool, the texture changes and I find them harder to swallow..

Piya10
  • I don't really eat many potatoes any more as I've found them so problematic.  Mash is definitely out as it's too gloopy to swallow and I don't like the grainy texture in my mouth.

I can enjoy a waxy new potato with butter or a couple of chips on a good day.  Also a Maris Piper roasted potato but all in small quantities.  Crisps are a definite no go still - they cut my mouth and tongue and get stuck in my throat.

I've been experiencing problems with the website too Piya but it seems ok today so far......

Linda x

• Aww Hazel, were they nice?! I hope they were!! Xo 

Dee
  • Hi Tricia! I cant wait to I can eat normal food, the no saliva and no taste has a real impact! 

Thanks for replying Tricia Blush

Dee
  • Yes Dee I savoured each individual one for you and sent the thoughts across the Irish Sea to you. Hope you slept well again last night ?

plain crisps tonight just had 2 squares of dark chocolate as well. Your turn will come promise.

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Dani, I can get the potatoes down ok but all my food is mashed up so there's very little chewing, just in and swallowed! 

Dee
  • Hi Linda, all this talk of food is making me hungry Grin

Dee