HPV throat cancer...

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Hi

Not to sure where to start... 

Cutting a very long story short, a couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with throat cancer caused by the HPV16 virus. I'm 36 years old and I was told by doctors for months that It was re-occurring tonsillitis, then I moved house, saw a new (amazing) doctor and the rest is history.

I have experienced all the emotions that cancer throws at you, for the first few days I couldn't puck myself up off the floor but thankfully I now feel very strong and I'm ready to fight...and win!!! I have three beautiful children ages 8,6 and 2 and they are my strength, for my husband and them I will beat this hideous disease and be a better person, the person that I am meant to be.

I start six weeks of radiotherapy next Monday and five sessions of chemotherapy next Wednesday. I'm not afraid of the treatment, but I wondered if anyone can tell me about their experience of it please to help me prepare. I have had the feeding tube put in last week, which is getting better everyday. I just wondered how it makes you feel, my oncologist says I will be very tired and obviously have a sore throat, but I thought it would be nice to hear from people that have been through it themselves. 

Thank you in advance to anyone that responds to my post, chatting to people that are also going through this or have been through it already is so helpful and inspiring, so thank you xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for sharing your experience Sarah. Wow, well done you for not cancelling the wedding and what a fantastic reward for you both once the treatment was finished! I bet that was an emotional day for everyone...congratulations.  

Thank you for the tips! I am worried about missing things that the children will be doing, but I know I will have to focus on me for a while.

I think keeping occupied is a great idea, we have just moved in to our new house so maybe I'll stock up on decorating magazines and match pots!!! 

Thank you again for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate all your help xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Yokatta

Thank you Yokatta! I really appreciate you sharing your experience, I think it's really helpful having an idea about what I'm entering in too, the good and the bad! Thank you x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Helen, thank you for you message. I am really concerned about how it will affect the kids. They are very active, will lots of after school clubs that I normally go to, and I feel sad to think that I won't be able to do it for a while. My little boy is 2 and full of energy and mischief, I'm worried about him as he is very clingy to me at the moment...I think he senses something is wrong. 

It helps me to read your story of how you got through it with the kids, so thank you! 

I'm glad your feeling much better and getting back to normal. I guess something like this makes you realise how precious the simple things are, in a funny way I am greaful for that! 

Thank you x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Yokatta

Hey Yokotta

Thank you for your post. My partner finished six weeks of RT and two CT treatments almost four weeks ago. Like you he was diagnosed with HPV16 and also like you opted out of the peg. He’s been on six fortisips a day for eight weeks now and although he is improving he feels like he’s getting worse, his throat is very sore (on the inside - the outside has healed up completely) and he feels it’s better harder and harder to drink the fortisips. He doesn’t want to go on here as he says he has me for support so I’ve been reading him things but I’m not going through it so it’s difficult to know what to say. What was your experience at this stage. He’s fearful of gagging too, which can happen but mainly in the night. His dietician says he can start introducing foods like scrambled egg, which he hasn’t don’t yet, but I’m going to make him some today. I guess I’m looking for reassurance so I can pass it on.

What stage are you at now? Hope you’re doing brilliantly. Reading your post, you sound so like my partner. All the best to you

• Hi can I ask did you ever test hpv positive in yourself smears I am asking because was hpv positively and then negative but I am worried as I now have Covid and that my throat will be a weak point and I will go onto develop hpv related throat cancer. Kind regards  Audrey

• I finished treatment 12 weeks ago, the 6 weeks of treatment was ok was very tired and the pain in the throat is hard. It’s the 2 weeks after treatment is the worst. Make sure you have plenty of support in place for then. I am 12 weeks post treatment life is getting better. I don’t want you to think it’s all bad but I couldn’t have done it without a lot of support. I wish you well with your journey 

elaine x

• Hi Audrey and welcome. You seem to have found a four year old thread. 
    There is some research to suggest that women with cervical HPV might carry oral HPV but this is really a question for an immunologist. Having Covid wont make you more susceptible to oral HPV. 
    Maybe you could talk to your GP? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I think Covid and HPV+ H&N cancers are totally unrelated.  Just think of all the other flu and colds going around for all of time... 

As to HPV+ I believe around 80% of the population get an HPV infection at one stage or the other in their life.  Almost everyone's body deals with the HPV and gets it out the system.  Probably why you showed +ve then -ve.  For a few of us we end up with a problem in the longer term...

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • I can add that having a positive followed by a negative seems to indicate your immune system has dealt with the HPV and that’s it done and dusted. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge