Hi I'm new to this and I'd like to say hello to everyone.

• 2 replies
  • 64 subscribers

I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in December. Lovely Christmas present. 

I started on FLOT chemotherapy.bi had a pain in my chest a week after having the first stint of therapy. I was told it was a heart attack so no operation. I don't think it was a heart attack. That happened on a Thursday night in hospital. I then had a consultant tell me, no heart attack and no blood clot. Still in hospital the following Tuesday a cardiologist told me I've probably had a heart attack. Then at the same time a respiratory consultant told me, I've possibly had a heart attack but they won't cut it out because of where it is.

I've since had radiotherapy over a continuous ten day period. I haven't got a clue what's going on. being told very little. As if this thing is scary enough.

Sorry for whinging.

• Sorry to hear you had such a bad reaction to your 1st FLOT. I was hospitalised after my 3rd dose due to having a severe bout of Atrial Fibrillation and my blood sugars were dangerously high too. What do you mean about cutting it out? Are you talking about the post chemo operation? 

• Hello Colin

Thanks for taking the first steps to reach out to this Forum, you are very welcome here and I hope you find a great deal of useful information. 

From your post I feel a great deal of anxiety, and I am really sorry that you are not being given enough information and therefore not able to understand what is going on, it is important that you discuss this with your medical team, you need to be confident in the treatment you are being offered and that you have definite answers to whether it was a heart attack you had in the hospital or not, probably is not really an acceptable comment for something so serious.  

I have read that you have been told that there will be no operation, have you been told exactly where in your oesophagus the tumour is, whether there is any spread, or any staging information?

Please reach out to your MDT, ask them to make you an appointment so that they can give you more information and a greater understanding of what the next steps are for you. 

Good Luck

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!