Breathe Test

• 13 replies
  • 64 subscribers

My husband has an appointment tomorrow for a breathing test, what will this entail? anyone else been for one?

• Hi Angie

I had a breath test to check I was strong enough for radical chemoradiation. I had to breath into a machine at different rates/strengths - they tell you what to do - I can't remember exactly but something like breath normally, 3 deep breaths, breath normally, one long deep breath - that sort of thing. He told me what to do beforehand and I promptly forgot (my brain was rather fried with everything going on) and he reminded me at every point. There were two different tests. I kept apologising that I was doing it wrong but he said it was fine. And I amazed myself and scored well in both tests. That meant I was strong enough to have the radical chemoradiation. 

There's another test that other people had, an exercise bike test where they check breathing and heart rate but I didn't have that one. 

Hope that helps. 

Amanda 

• Thanks Amanda for letting me know I can tell my husband what to expect now.

Take care

Angie x 

• Hi Angie

I've been thinking about you and your husband. Hope the breath test went ok and the oncologist appt was better than feared. Any news on PET CT scan date?

Take care

Amanda 

• Hi Amanda,

The breath test went well after he got used to it after the 1st attempt lol.

We had good news that the lesions on the liver were cysts and nothing to worry about.

However, the tumour in the oesophagus has wrapped itself around the aorta so they need to see how they could remove it.

PET scan should be within the next 2 weeks and he needs to have a laparoscopy to see the tumour better and the position around the aorta then it will be chemo but no date for that.

We are so relieved about the liver and now we just await the next scan but staying positive Pray

How are you doing?

Take care 

Angie

• Hi Angie

Glad the breath test went ok in the end. And very good news about his liver, I'm so pleased for you both.

I hope the other tests come through quickly. I didn't mind the PET CT scans (I've had several), they inject you with the radioactive dye then you lie down for an hour, then go to the loo, then to the scanner which took about 25 mins. The first couple of times I took a book for the hour waiting but more recently they said no reading, just lie still, so I put a podcast on my phone and listened on earbuds. Afterwards you're radioactive for 8 hours so can't go near babies, small children and pets.

I'm ok thanks, stressed about my gastroscopy on Monday but that's just life isn't it. We've isolated all well so fingers crossed it'll all go ahead ok. 

Keep in touch. 

Amanda 

• Hi Amanda,

I will let my hubby know what to expect at the PET scan, I will tell him to take his earbuds.

Fingers crossed for Monday, let me know how it goes.

This whole journey is stressful isn't it, I guess we just have to take each day as it comes.

All the best

Angie

• Hi Amanda

How did yesterday go?

Angie x 

• Hi Angie

Thank you for thinking of me. The actual test went fine but there was a mess up with the paperwork afterwards, the nurse started to go through the report and it wasn't about me. It was my name etc but not my medical history. They got it sorted with huge apologies and the amended report says the same as the one in July, no cancer and several areas showing signs of dysplasia and biopsies taken. But he wants to see me in 3 months, not 6 months. I'm speaking to my consultant on 12 Feb so I'll question everything, but it's left me feeling unsettled. I'll let you know. 

How are you and your family? When is the next appointment?

Take care,

Amanda 

• Hi Amanda,

That is terrible about the report, what a mistake for them to make.

Glad everything went well in the end, the sign of no cancer is good and I'm sure you will be fine.

I'm sure your consultant will put your mind at rest when you see him/her.

We are ok thanks, my husband is still in a lot of pain but the morphine is helping now.

Still awaiting the PET scan appt to come through so just waiting at the moment.

Take care

Angie