New diagnosis

• 2 replies
  • 63 subscribers

Hello everyone

I was diagnosed with Oesophagael Cancer a week or so ago.  I have  had an endoscopy, Cat scan, Pet scan and laporoscopy.  A large inoperable Squamous tumour at base of oesophagus where it joins stomach.  Symptoms were problems swallowing  which got worse and now basically on pureed food and liquids.

Appointment with Oncologist this afternoon to find out the chemotherapy treatment.

Apart from having trouble eating I feel fine!!

It will be great to talk to others in this community and  I look forward to hearing from some of you.

My wife and are keeping positive, despite the shock.

Best wishes to everyone  else in this situation

Sigel48

• Hi Sigel 48, Welcome but you would prefer not to be here I bet, I am in remission from this cancer and had already got over my first one 18months earlier so it can be beaten. My Oesophagus cancer wasn’t operable due to it being too high up, seeing your notes you must have seen the Oncologist by now and hopefully a plan is in place

As you have seen there is plenty of help on this site so I have come on to keep your submission high up, I am sure others will come on with support as well if you need it, the Oncologist Team will support you all the way and do, do ask them as many questions as you need answers, it’s a hard journey but you can get through, mine was the Radiotherapy that knocked me for six 2 weeks after I finished but after couple of months I was fully back at work.

All the best and take care

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service

• Many thanks Kasvin.  Yes , the Oncologist said it was quite rare for my  type tumour  to be positioned at the join with the stomach, normally 2/3 of way up.  Nice to be different!  The good news was that if it did become operable it would be easier to reach.

First treatment will be chemo , in the next couple of weeks.  Unfortunately due to my inability to take tablets , it will be via an intravenous drip in the hospital every couple of weeks. I will also have a PICC line and pump to feed in other treatments at home over a period of time.  I am hoping the tumour at least shrinks so I can eat some proper food again. The situation will be reviewed after about 9 weeks chemo.

We are having to puree all my food, and then sieve it to ensure no lumps to bits.  I am not sure if one can buy ready pureed meals, - I had a couple when in the hospital but they are really very unappetising to look eat, and even eat.  Anyone else got thoughts on pureed food?

Glad that you got through it and thanks for your support