New - Oesophageal Cancer

• 14 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi everyone,  I found out last week that I have Oesophageal Cancer. I am shocked because I don’t feel poorly and I look okay. I’m waiting to see a consultant next Wednesday, I’m guessing to discuss my treatment going forward. I’m staying optimistic about this, I really don’t feel ready to “hang up my boots”, so to speak. 
Can I expect to get worse before I get better? 
Words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance. 
Linda

• Thank you for your reply that sounds like good news i wonder why I’m not being offered chemo and immune therapy? Did you have you’ve had both at the same time?

• No problem, I'm finding it invaluable to be able to share experiences and find a lot of useful info here. Re the good news bit I hope so !

Yes I started chemo and immuno at the same time and the immuno will continue on 3 weekly doses once chemo complete.

Steve

• Hi Clarab

My husband was also offered chemo only. We hoped he would be eligible for Immunotherapy, but his PDL-1 count was only 5 and it needed to be over 10 for Immunotherapy to work. So it may be something to do with that. Worth asking for an explanation though.

All the best

M

• I see I’m being offered immunotherapy only at this point so I understand now why they’re asking me to wait to start it so my immune system has fully recovered from chemo as info states up to 9 months but i recovered really well from chemo and radiotherapy if my bloods are to go by I’m hoping to start it in September I just didn’t want to leave it too long as I’ve not had anything since March