Hello I’ve just joined

• 3 replies
  • 63 subscribers

Hi 

My fairly active 85 year old Mum has just been diagnosed andAdvanced untreatable Oesophageal Cancer with secondary’s in her lung and a lymph node. To say I am devestated is an understatement. I’m hoping to be able to give her as much help and support as possible as we start this journey together so would be grateful for any advice on keeping her fit and active and how to encourage her to eat a bit more as she is really struggling with food at the moment. Thank you 

Jansie2504

• Hi Jansie2504

I am so sorry to read about your Mum's diagnosis with Advanced OC with mets in Lungs and lymph nodes, it is understandable that you are beyond devastated, have they said why Mum's condition is untreatable?

Not knowing your Mum's likes and dislikes, it is hard to give too much in the way of food ideas, but with my husband, initially we made smoothies, fruit and veg, tumeric, green powder superfood blends, cream, fruit juice.  We pureed food, mainly normal meals blitzed in the blender, and then looked for other alternatives. 

When we were advised he had to avoid anything cold it made things a bit difficult, but we came out the other end, after many soups, stews and old time recipes. 

He was diagnosed stage 4 advanced OC, liver, lungs and lymph nodes, not curable, but treatable, which is why I ask, if they have told you why mum is not treatable.

This is a long and difficult road ahead, but we are here for you, as you are for Mum, should you need us.

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply to my post. Mum is 85 and has previously beaten off  bowel cancer - the oncologist said that the treatment would be extremely toxic and would make her feel very bad, advised that her quality of life would be very poor. I have just bought her a bullet blitzer and have just been researching some supplements to add to smoothies - it’s a minefield! At the moment we are making lots of soups and casseroles as I still need to make sure my Dad, also 85, and quite underweight is  getting enough nutrition and calories. 

• Hi Jansie

I do get a little frustrated when I read people being told that the their treatment will make them feel very bad,  thankfully my husbands oncologist said, It may not be very nice but I am going to go in, all guns blazing to see how much of this we can blast... My husbands response was, "do your worst" that way he prepared mentally for potential side effects, he knew it may not be nice, but, he did not know that he would feel really bad, and actually he never did, during the past 15 months of treatment I have known him to have 2 unpleasant side effects in addition to the regular side effects, like tiredness, aching, uncomfortable, a little nauseous - nothing, thankfully "very bad" 

That said, .. my Dad had radiotherapy for stomach cancer and I don't think that it agreed with him, he was slightly younger than your Mum, .. the oncologist knows best I am sure. 

I do hope that things are not too bad for you both at this time. 

I am thinking of you. 

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!