Post Gastrectomy 10weeks

• 1 reply
  • 63 subscribers

Hi I’ve been on and off on here since my dads diagnosis in Oct. Dad is currently recovering from a partial gastrectomy he had in March and is doing very well. He was originally for post surgery chemo but his consultant and surgeon had a long discussion and decided against this as chemo had shrunk the tumour and only scarred tissue remained in his biopsy results.  
At this stage we thought we would have been further on but it seems to be one thing after an other at the min with Dad with various symptoms. He constantly complains of joint pain, numbness and tingling in his fingers that restricts him from doing daily tasks. Pains in his arms, coldness all the time and night sweats were he wakes up soaking in sweat and freezing. We have been in contact with his GP who has checked bloods and everything is ok apart from low iron levels which is to be expected. I’m just wondering if Anyone else has experienced anything similar and can they offer any advice as we are running out of ideas to help him and these little things are understandably now effecting his mood as a previously very active man. 

thank you 

• Hi ,

Really good news about your dad's total response to chemo! Was it FLOT?

I was successfully treaded 3 years ago but the symptoms your dad is suffering from are familiar to me. I had arthritis before treatment, but it is much worse now and now a bit debilitating. I think this is a side effect of the chemo? 

I (like many others) suffered from tingling and numbness in my feet and hands, I think the technical term for this is "Chemotherapy-Induced Neuropathy"? For me this did go away, but I'm much more sensitive to to cold now that can bring back the symptoms. 

As for the night sweats, Yes I had these too, but for me they were due to wound infections and drug treatments (mostly pain killers) and have now gone. 

And again (like many others) I had low iron levels and had several iron infusions during treatment. I have since then had low iron levels and self treated with over the counter iron tablets (with my GP's approval). 

Things do get better but it can be a tough journey. 

Anon613