Surgery

• 3 replies
  • 62 subscribers

Hi, my uncle has just had his surgery two weeks ago. He has been doing great but took not well yesterday and they think he has a chest infection. Visiting is limited to 1 hour per day so its frustrating not seeing him. He also has a learning disability but he seems settled in the ward and does use buzzer for help. I was coping and read up on the surgery but now he has had it Iam so emotional seeing him with oxygen today made me realise even more what he has been through! Just wanted to share and any advice for the next stage would be great. This infection has set him back a bit so getting home will be delayed. This group is such a great idea 

• Hi there hope this message finds you well. 9 weeks today I went in for my esophogectomy. The operation went well but for first week I had to use oxygen to help me breath. This was cleared up with antibiotics and intense physio. Over week 2 I continued my physio and worked on eating etc. Day 14 they released me from hospital. I"ve been out now 7 weeks today. In this time I've worked on my diet and took daily walks. Each day I went that little further. 2 weeks ago I started swimming and slow running on treadmill at local gym. Things are going really well. The best news came the other day when the surgeon gave me the all clear. The results had come back from lab and all checks around growth was clear. It was fantastic news and wish you the very best too with your uncle. Days can go up and down for people and everybody reacts different. Just be positive and remember we've got the best NHS looking after us. Take care, Dave.

• Thank you so much for taking the time to reply that helps alot and is reassuring. It's good to hear other people's experiences after surgery. Well done, you have done amazing and congratulations on your good news! All the best and thanks again for replying 

• Hi Bella,

I was going to give you some good advice, but Dave 66 has given you what I wanted to say. He's spot on.

Antibiotics are commonly used for chest infections & they do work. The oxygen is just to help speed up the healing process giving your uncle an easier time with breathing. It's not life support, it's just an aid to help recovery.

Can you tell me what his surgery entailed, it's good to have all the details so the replies can come from those such as Dave 66 who has been through a similar process. Please don't fret, the hospital will only release a patient when they are satisfied that the person is healthy enough to come home. And you may be given med's on repeat that keep him in good shape. Be absolutely sure that our NHS are doing the right thing here, we are lucky to have them.

My best wishes,

Graeme.