Side effects - causes - symptoms - treatments.

• 3 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi I wanted to create a thread where people can share there experiences of a particular side effect and share how it affected them with what treatments were offered.

The hope is that we can build a data base for people who are suffering with a particular problem not realising it’s even a side affect or there is a treatment, or maybe even someone has had a treatment that hasn’t worked and by knowing these alternatives can look to explore more.

To help keep it tidy all I ask is avoid having discussion and replying to posts this will prevent post getting lost in pages of conversation.

I will start a separate thread for discussions .

Feel free to duplicate a post it your adding more context this is only going to help further.

Remember if your experiencing any of these side affects consult a health care professional

So I’ll start with….

• Side effect - Delayed gastric emptying (Gastroparesis)

Cause - narrowing of the pyloric sphincter a muscle at the bottom of the stomach.

Symptoms - vomiting, feeling fuller than normal, bloating,, acid reflux, loss of appetite. Weight loss or malnutrition.

Treatment - medication (such as Domperidone, Erythromycin) Pyloric dilatation, Botox injections.

• Side effect - Early dumping syndrome

Cause - occurs when food moves too quickly from the stomach into the small intestine, usually within 30 minutes of eating

Symptoms - Bloating, Sweating, Abdominal cramps and pain, Nausea, Facial flushing, Stomach growling or rumbling, An urge to lie down after eating, Heart palpitations and fast heartbeat. Dizziness or fainting, Diarrhoea

Treatment - Eat smaller meals, Limit high-sugar foods, Choose complex carbohydrates such as wholegrain or granary bread, wholegrain or basmati rice, whole wheat pasta, wholegrain crackers, oatcakes, whole wheat pitta bread, boiled potatoes, and wholegrain cereals

• Side effect - Late dumping syndrome

Cause - can occur 1–3 hours after eating and is caused by sugary foods or large portions of simple carbohydrates, which cause your blood sugar level to quickly increase at first. This can result in the body producing large amounts of insulin, which causes your blood sugar levels to rapidly drop below normal level in response

Symptoms -Heart palpitations, sweating, hunger, confusion, fatigue, aggression, tremors, fainting

Treatment - Avoid sugary foods and large portions of simple carbohydrates, Eat slowly, Avoid liquids for 30 minutes after a meal, Lie down if you experience symptoms, Keep a food and symptom diary, A dietitian can help you make dietary changes and tailor them to your needs. If symptoms don't improve after dietary changes, you can ask your doctor about medication