Surgery

• 4 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi everyone 

I was diagnosed with stage three OC in February. I’ve been through chemotherapy and then chemo radiotherapy.

recent CT scan was done earlier than the 12 week plan because of symptoms which did not turn out to be relevant . However it looks like there may be some cancer still present ( won’t know until endoscopy in two weeks) . Still a possibility it’s Radiotherapy inflammation but I’m not optimistic as my chemotherapy had to be scaled back because of lots of toxicity issues . 

the next option will therefore be surgery if it’s possible . I was dreading this most of all . Can anyone share their experience of this re sectiing operation please ?. I would rather  be mentally prepared for the worst .

How long after radiotherapy did you have to wait for the inflammation to settle down before Sugery?. How bad was it ? How long were you in hospital ?What is your eating like now ? Did it affect your speaking or breathing ?

thank you 

• Hi MarshaEd.

Sorry to read that you are on this journey and concerned about the future surgery. The truth is no one can answer how it will be for you as we all, are, or have been on different journeys of diagnosis and treatment procedures. If it will help at all you can read my story and those who have been on a similar path under the thread in 'post op  journey' in the 'hello new here; section. However it is mine and other people's stories and yours may not necessarily follow the same path.  Like you I did have severe inflammation from radiotherapy but it settled down in a couple of weeks after completion of the course and well in time for the surgery. I am now 15 months post operation. Try not to get to too worried about everything but get yourself as fit as possible and have faith in the experts who are looking after you. I hope it all goes well for you.  

• Thank you for replying .

ironically the radiotherapy was a breeze. Having had dire warning of blood transfusions , feeding tubes and morphine I just managed with a couple of paracetamol and a normal diet .

did you have a re sect of the oesophageal and where was your tumour ?. What is eating like for you ?

My son has his GCSEs next summer . The timing is horrendous . I’m very well now having worked hard to get there after.nightmare time with chemo but am aware the re sect could mean a long stay in hospital 

• Yes. I had the Ivor Lewis procedure. All the eating issues that I and others have experienced are described in the thread previously referred to. Impossible for me to say how long any individual will expect to stay in hospital but your team will of course advise you (my team contact/nurse practitioner has been fantastic in their support over the past 2 years !). It would appear that with no post op complications the average period described by most contributors is 9-10 days. It  seems from most reports it is unlikely to be much less. All the best.

• Hi MarshaEd,

I had an Ivor Lewis oesophagectomy in February to remove a tumour at the junction of the oesophagus and stomach. The surgeon removed half of my oesophagus and about one third of my stomach. The operation lasted about 9hrs and I spent 8 nights in ICU (I had a post-surgery “complication”) and a further 8 on the main ward. I was told by my surgeon that the operation was one of the most traumatic surgeries performed (harder on the body that open heart surgery) and that the recovery from it would be long and slow. They weren’t kidding there!! I am now coming up on 7 months post surgery and still a long way from regaining my previous level of fitness. I tire easily although I try to get out for daily walks of up to 4 miles and have also done a bit of cycling. Bending over is very uncomfortable so weeding in the garden has to be done in very short bursts of about 10mins max. As far as eating goes, there doesn’t seem to be anything I can’t eat, albeit in very small portions and I avoid eating anything after 8pm to avoid reflux at night. I use 3 pillows in bed (where I used to use only one) - also to help avoid reflux as it is very very unpleasant. I am lucky to be retired as I know that I would not be fit to return to work yet. There is no doubt that the last year has been the most challenging I have ever faced but I am still here and, in spite of everything, booking for is good. My wife and I have 3 holidays planned in the next 8 months. There is no way I would have got through everything without her. She was my ‘support team’. Everyone going through this definitely needs a support team by their side. We are determined to live life to the full. In short, the surgery is tough on the body and the recovery afterwards is not quick. But, when it’s the only option you’re given, then you get through it. I wish you well for whatever lies ahead for you. CB