Cancer is back

• 16 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hello everyone 

My husband and I had the devastating news today that no one wants to hear - the cancer has returned. My husband was diagnosed with OC stage 3 in October 2022, he had chemotherapy and radiotherapy at the end of that treatment they said there were still some residue of cancer left so suggested surgery to remove the oesophagus. My husband has his operation in August 2023, the surgeon said the operation went well and he was able to remove all the cancer including lymph nodes that could be a problem. It’s just over one year since my husband’s operation and to be told the cancer is back we are struggling as to how this can be. We had a discussion today with the oncology doctor about chemo and immunotherapy. We are meeting with the oncology doctor on Tuesday to finalised treatment going forward. Is there anyone in this forum with any experience or knowledge with a similar case that can share their experience and advice of best treatment - chemo or immunotherapy. Thanks 

• Hi 

So sorry this is awful news for you all. I know there are a few people on this forum whose cancer was discovered at too an advanced level for surgery or whose cancer has returned. Hopefully they'll comment on their experiences. I can't really comment but I thought I'd just say that I'm sorry that you're all going through this. Sending positive vibes. Also to suggest looking at Cancer Research UK- they have various research trials and information about them. This might be useful.

Take care

• Thank you SuzieW - I’ll have a look at Cancer Research UK

Take care 

• pinks so sorry, for this bugger coming back,  this is a new cancer after a surprise masectomy last year, god i wish we had taken a breath, gone away, then had surgery, its been nearly a year, so things we have planned was an "up yours cancer", apologies, but then july after swallowing issues, those words "so sorry,""jesus, still reeling from the first one, which no disrespect, but compared to this little so and so, is horrific, i cant have the op, so the nurse said, not the oncologist we see on 18th so thought this week would be, well we have time to do stuff, not even on our radar, keep venting, chatting, on this forum, such honest feedback, last time everything was sugar coated, and when reality hit, awful, so sending hugs, keep pushing, when people say you beat it before and you got this, well we didnt as it came back, and some days i genuinely dont got this, thinking of you both xx  and am i the only one to feel so flippin angry sometimes xx

• Hi W1cky,

Thank you for sharing your experience with me and you have every right to feel angry because it’s not fair after you have had chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery then to be told the cancer is back and to top it all off to be told there is no curable treatment when the cancer comes back. Please take each day as it comes and make the most of each day. Take care 

• Hi Pinks. I’m one of the stage 4 folk. So a cure was never an option for me. Bitter pill to swallow but not as bad as it returning after it should have been beaten as you both have had to go through. I had been expecting to be on a longer immunotherapy regime but after 8’rounds of chemo it all started progressing again a few weeks back. Had loads of optimistic travel plans!

My advice would be to trust the medical team, even though you must feel very let down. Every journey is different of course. I am now on another chemo regime which is working again. It’s not a long term fix but I’ll take it! Got a week in Turkey coming up which I am so looking forward to!

Stay positive if you can. It will feel like a nightmare from which you both can’t wake sometimes but focus on his next treatment steps and what stuff that will enable you to do which is outside of treatment. 

I I feel so bad for you both and feel such a fraud trying  to give advice, but I hope this has helped a little. Will be thinking of you and don't hesitate to Friend me if youd like to just message specifically about something  

• It’s just over one year since my husband’s operation and to be told the cancer is back we are struggling as to how this can be.

I'm very sorry to hear that rotten news. When you say that the 'cancer is back', I assume you mean that a secondary tumour (or tumours) have been discovered via some kind of scan.

My wife had Ivor Lewis surgery for OC in February 2020, having previously completed a course of combined chemotherapy and radiotherapy. The surgery was considered a complete success, and the surgeon was delighted with the outcome: the tumour was removed, along with many lymph nodes, and the subsequent pathology report was as good as it gets - there was no evidence of any spread to any of the lymph nodes. However, my wife started getting symptomatic again in the Summer of 2022 (the specific symptom was bad coughing), and a scan found two secondary tumours.

Your question is 'how this can be?' My answer is that cancer is a horrible disease, and it only takes one malignant cell to escape the primary tumour and get into the lymph system to allow it to spread. And the disease also evolves against the treatments: some cancerous cells might be more resistant to chemotherapy than others, so they get naturally selected.

In my wife's case, I have often wondered whether some further chemotherapy immediately after her surgery might have helped to minimize the risk of the disease spreading. But we weren't offered that, so we will never know.

Following her diagnosis of secondary cancer, my wife was put on a course of chemotherapy. That was quite successful in ameliorating the symptoms, and we were able to have a nice long holiday in the Summer of 2023. It was hoped that a subsequent course of immunotherapy might be offered, but we didn't get that far. My profile on this site gives a fuller picture of what happened.

In your case, my advice is that you completely place your trust in the medical professionals involved. The oncologist is best placed to determine what the best treatment plan is: that's his or her job.

I hope you have a productive - and frank - discussion with your oncologist. It's just a rotten situation to be in.

I send you love, hope, and my best wishes.

• Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear you have progression again, this disease just keeps on giving.

My husband is having radiotherapy now due to the thickening of the oesophagus tumour, it is pressing on the nerve/bone and that is what is causing the extreme back pin.

We seem to be back to the stage before chemo again, he is struggling to keep food down and is back on a soft diet, he has lost all the weight he put back on.

I assume after radiotherapy my husband will be back to chemo again.

Keep fighting

Angie 

• Hi PTP,

So sorry for your loss. Your wife sounds like a strong woman who battled this disease with determination to overcome it but unfortunately lost that fight. Fear of a return of the cancer is something that is never far from the minds of those of us who continue the fight. I wish you strength and fortitude in your quest to honour her wishes. CB

• Thank you and wishing you all the best with the new chemo regime. Have a blast on your holiday to Turkey. Take care 

• Dear PTP

Thank you for sharing your story with me - I’m so sorry to hear about your wife. Her journey sounds similar to my husband. I will look at your profile to follow your wife journey. I did ask myself the same question - why didn’t my husband had chemo after the surgery to make sure if any thing was left the chemo would have taken care of it. But it was never offered. 
    We had our meeting today to agree the treatment going forward - they said immunotherapy for 2 years (not sure why they said 2 years) because if it works I hope they will offer it for longer. We are just waiting on a start date now. 

Take care as you come to terms with the changes in your life