First Symptoms

• 14 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hello, I’ve been a lurker here for a few weeks, unsure whether to post. I‘m 43 and have had silent reflux for many, many years, I think it may go back as far as me being a child. As it didn’t manifest as “typical” GERD symptoms, it went mostly undiagnosed until my mid 30’s. I was initially on Ranitadine until it was removed and I now take Esomeprazole every day. My symptoms usually present as a chest infection without any cough, sore throat and it sometimes affects my voice.

I recently suffered from a cold at the end of February which developed in to a very severe cough and Pleurisy. I could feel the acid reflux in my throat due to the cold. After several weeks the cough was not resolving and would not lift with steroids, inhalers or antibiotics. My doctor now thinks the cough is to do with my acid reflux. Also when breathing my chest would continually rattle when breathing out. An xray has been done, no issues with my lungs, blood tests all came back normal and showing no infection. The cough has resolved a bit, it’s not as violent or as frequent but my chest still rattles several times a day, when I cough it clears it. I was bringing up white phlegm before but this has reduced to only sometimes now. The doctor has prescribed me Famitadine to take along with the esomeprazole. Also, when I cough I sometimes feel like I can’t breathe afterwards and I need to burp several times before I can take a breath again.

My fear is that I have had acid reflux for so long and I’ve never had an endoscopy I’m really concerned about the damage that has been done and if this sudden severe change could be cancer. My doctor does not want to refer me for an endoscopy and wants me to trial the new medication first for 3 weeks. Then if it is not working then I’ve to come off the esomeprazole for 2 weeks so they can do a H Pylori test. Then she would think about sending me for an endoscopy. To me it is such a long wait.

I’m posting here to ask if anyone had any first symptoms similar to mine please? I’ve had no other symptoms other than feeling really tired.

Thank you and sending best wishes to you and your families.

• Hi Unsure 1980

i have had three in total endoscopy , I always had the sedation and it was fine.

just get it checked out

jayne

• Hi,my first signs were itching legs and feet,high blood pressure,apparently the surgeon reckons that was my body telling me.my doctor just gave me ramaprill medication for high blood pressure and sent me on my merry way ,it was only when I had difficulty in swallowing that I went back .i then got sent for a camera down the throat where they took biopsies 6weeks later results came back oesophageal cancer.I don’t know if this helps,if you want something checked ,tell your dr you want it done,if there is something in it the sooner you find out the better 

• Elite1, I’m sorry to hear you had such a long wait for the results and that your doctor wasn’t very helpful. Those were some strange symptoms. I wish you all the best with your treatment going forward. 

• Thank you for all your replies and setting my mind at ease about the endoscopy. I will make sure to get it investigated.