We have been told 2/3 years left

• 1 reply
  • 37 subscribers

My father has recently been diagnosed with Osesophageal Cancer in the upper food pipe. He has just been told he has between 2/3 years and I'm just devastated.

He is 72 years old and the doctor said Chemo won't work and surgery is not an option which now only leaves us with radiotheropy to help reduce it in the mean time.

We were never told what the stage is, can someone advise me on what stage this would be?

I'm finding it difficult taking all this in but reading some of these posts of more positive outcomes is giving me hope.

Thanks

• Hi Larr03

if that’s all your father has been told then that’s not good enough. You definitely need to speak to your oncologist or someone senior on your cancer team. To be told bluntly that you only have 2/3 years left is also not very professional. I was diagnosed with stage 4 Oeasophageal cancer (midway) with metastasis into a lymph node and a bone in my spine. Because of the staging and the spread an operation was ruled out and I was placed on palliative care with chemo and radiotherapy. After 2 cycles of chemo I was able to eat as normal and at my 1st CT scan the tumour had shrunk a little.

After my 3rd cycle I was told I was eligible for immunotherapy, as I had a high level of PD-L1 (70%), so I continued with this and a further 3 cycles of chemo before going on to immunotherapy alone for 2 years. My tumour has continued to shrink further and I am hopeful this will continue to be the case. By the way I am 73 and was diagnosed last year.

Please, please don’t accept what you have been told so far, everyone is different and responses to chemo are not the same for all but you need much more information than your father has at the moment.

is there a MacMillan nurse you can speak with?

Good luck to your father.

if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

colin