Squamous Cell cancer upper esophagus

• 16 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi All,

My husband, 64 and healthy, got a crouton stuck last November and then in January a bit of pizza. We waited weeks before a GP would refer him to have the camera down his throat. The same day he had a CT Scan and the following week a PET Scan. Told today its inoperable as its so high up in his throat and its borderline between head and neck cancer and esophagus cancer. Being offered types of chemo and Radiotherapy and a 'Rig' fitted to be fed through. They said its stage 3 and he has to have 5 weeks of this treatment and then more treatment covering months.  He is very worried that after all this awful treatment that he still wont last long. Does anyone know any happy, long levity  outcome for this treatment? Can you go on to lie the 5 years or is it rare. Noone seems to be telling us any real facts.  No one seems to mention if they came out the other end of this radio/chemo and went on to feel better and live a few more years.  All I can see are the horror stories. Please tell me that there is possible good news out there?

• Good luck for the future 

• I sympathise, it is difficult to get long term answers but guess they just don't know. Even though I have had amazing response to the chemo and they 'think' the tumour is dormant, I would still like some more encouragement as not planned any more CT Scans in the near future. All  the case studies they mention to me only seem to live 3-5 years more.

• Hi Rosiecat. What you are saying probably strikes a chord with most of us on here; no one can be given long term answers. I have things playing over and over in my mind and then I think today is something I can do something about. I suppose it’s more about living in the present. I guess it’s changing your mindset. I find that the Headspace app is good when I’m feeling wobbly. The guy I listen to has also been through cancer and he very much focuses on the here and now. I don’t listen to it all the while, but sometimes it just works. Best wishes, Julie. 

• Hi Sopranos. Just wondering how your husband is doing and if he has any dates for treatment.

Best wishes, Julie

• Hi Julie,  He is having his rig/feeding tube inserted tomorrow but still not had the plan for his chemo or radiotherapy. Been waiting 3 months now :-(

• Oh dear. I can understand your frustration. Hope you hear something soon. Best wishes,