Sleeping after surgery

• 2 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi everyone my husband is having a what they’re calling a trial dissection on Wednesday in the hope that they can remove his large tumour Fingers crossed If it goes ahead, I wanted to ask whether he’ll need to sleep upright for a few weeks afterwards? He doesn’t find sitting upright in bed comfortable so we’ve been wondering about those stressless chairs (I’ve seen some secondhand ones at a good price). Thanks x

• Hi

I hope it all goes well with the dissection.  I had my esophagectomy in January. I've not quite cracked the sleeping issue yet. I tried getting wedge pillows but I didn't find it comfortable.  Currently I'm sleeping on the sofa propped up by cushions which I can mould to get comfortable.  I'm probably going to look at buying a new bed tbh. I've read of others buying recliner type chairs to sleep on and of others who find the wedge pillows comfortable.  So its likely to come down to personal comfort.

Take care 

• Hi JaneD

I am so glad I went out and bought an electric Recliner chair. I used this in the two/three months after the Esophagectomy and it made a massive difference. I could set the position for sleep and to get me back to a seated position automatically so I could get up without much effort. Gradually I could do part of the night on the bed (raised head with spacers under the legs).