We saw the oncologist yesterday

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi ,

I have a tumour in my oesophagus near the the stomach. It is 20 cms long and is not operable due to the size. I had a nastrogastric feeding tube for 2 weeks but have now been fitted with a stent , so now I can have a soft diet. 
My Pet Scan said that the cancer has not spread to other organs but has spread to 2 lymph nodes close to the tumour. 
I am starting chemo in 2 weeks and am hoping this will help. It is going to run for 18 weeks. Chemo in hospital on day 1 , followed by 3 weeks of taking 2 tablets a day. This process will be repeated 6 times.

My hope is that the cancer will go into remission . It will continue to be there . A step at a time ….. nevertheless a lot to process. 

Has anyone else on here been diagnosed with inoperable / non curative oesophageal cancer. 

Thanksx

• Welcome Shanti,

Whilst mine wasn't incurable in fact I have just had my endoscomy results and the tumour has gone, my diagnosis was that they wouldn't operate as it was high up so the idea of stretching my stomach that far was out of the question. Just for info I had 7 courses of chemo introvenous and 35 sessions of Radiotherapy whic seems to have done the trick

I hope all goes well for you, Take care Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service

• Hi Shanti

Although my tumour was operable, the blood supply to my stomach was insufficient to have the op. I had same chemo and radiotherapy as you are about to start. Chemo was worse for me than radiotherapy, but both are bearable. Neither stopped me eating as normal, my weight was stable throughout and although I reduced my working week, I am back now in full time work.  I have had a few complications along the way, but manageable. 

Along the way though we discovered that I have gall bladder issue which has affected me far worse than the cancer treatments. But keep your chin up, stay positive and fit.