Not sure where I at with this cancer

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Diagnosed in May and started chemo last week in August, but I feel like a big chunk of my treatment is missing.     Just one interview with the chemo doctor, one interview with the surgeon, a laparoscopy which showed all clear.   I am suffering badly with the NG feed line and sick of the fresubin feed, 12 hours a day every day.   I have asked for a PEG line but they won't give me one without giving reasons.    The last phone call I had from the dietitians asked if I had started taking in fluids by mouth which is strange because no one has asked me to try.   Then I get a phone call from the GI NURSE asking if I had started chemo!!!!!   Makes me feel like a memo in the in tray.

On side effects is excessive salivar production and phlegm in the throat common with this cancer.

The aim as far as I know is four sessions of Chemo and then surgery in the new year.

• Hi, i dont have the same cancer has yourself so no nothing about any procedures you may need. The reason i have answered is if you are at all unsure or perplexed by your treatment plan you must ask questions. Please dont think they know whats what. I am not knocking the NHS i have a lot of time and respect for it, but Covid is still setting things back and we has patients need to keep an eye on our own treatments. I was diagnosed for the second time during Covid so now only to well how to look out for myself. I found the phone numbers of all my doctors, surgeons, oncologist secretaries they are the most inportant numbers to have you can ring them and leave any messages you need to and the doctor ect will know you are concerned. You must at all times report anything you are unsure of with your treatment. Dont wait and think they will be in touch its up to you to ask question about everything that is going on and dont be shy to double check that said appointments have been made on your behalf ie CT,MRI scans i always phone up the said department a few days later to make sure they have been requested.They are only human and make mistakes like us all, and they are all under a lot of pressure right now. I wish you all the best but please start writing things down and keep a record of what is happening. Ask to speak to the doctors and who ever is involved in your treatment to explain things clearly, they will receive phone call and explain thing to you you just need to ask Dawn

• Thanks Wino.   Yes you are 100% right I do have a habit of waiting for something to happen rather than ask.  My biggest complaint has been about the NG line which is causing me major discomfort in the nasal passage which has now become infected and as much as I have complained my protest seems to be falling on deaf ears.  It's been in 16 weeks now which is far to long and needs changing.

• I hope you will be making a lot of phone calls tommorow to get it sorted. If your nasal passage has become infected you must make a appointment asap, its very inportant the infection does not take hold as we are very suseptable to septis and that will end with you in hospital.I would phone my GP in the morning and ask to be seen asap and dont take no for an answer. You must look out for yourself 

• I agree Wino

Buzboombang I too hope you make those phone calls tomorrow.

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • 09:30 today we'd 15th Sept.   phone conversation with GP antibiotics waiting for collection from pharmacy.   Thanks for the advise.  Maurice.

• Hi glad to hear it haha