Results of MDT meeting and Pet Scan

• 3 replies
  • 39 subscribers

My husband has been informed he has stage 111 Adenocarcinoma of the esophagus with some lymph node involvement. He is to go for a pet scan a d if alls well surgery and chemo. CT scan shows liver is clear. I'm wondering why a pet scan if Ct scan was clear?

• Hi Ella, with a PET scan he will have a radioactive drip and the scan is much more detailed. It will show up anything anywhere in the body. I think it's just to give them a clearer picture of what they are dealing with. Kind regards Frank.

• Hi Ella_1

Welcome to the forum, a difficult place to join initially, but after the first post things get easier. We are a supportive group and there is generally someone about most of the time.

As Frank has said the PET is a lot more in depth a scan, it will help the professionals know exactly what treatment your husband will need.

I am truly sorry to read of his diagnosis, the waiting for results may well be difficult for you both, but take the time to talk, because as much as he is the one with the diagnosis you will be going through this together. 

Let me know if you would other support from the site, there are many areas here that give fantastic advise like the Family and Friends Forum

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Ella,

A CT scan is very detailed, but it gives 3D  imaging of organs & tissues  It checks for tumours or any other growth.

A PET scan detects any signs of biological activity in the body cells to see if the cells are reacting differently to normal. It's advantage over a CT is that it can spot how cells are reacting when they aren't visible on the CT scan. ( To the human eye). And most importantly, Pet scans can tell the oncologist whether growths are malignant or benign.

So PET scans are like a head start, they give the medical teams a prior warning as to what to watch for. As they work at a molecular level, the scan will show what cannot be seen from a CT scan. This gives oncology a chance to treat any abnormal growth before it becomes a visible mass. Before it may be too late to treat.

I do hope the PET scan finds nothing, that would be a fantastic result for your husband. I wish you all the best.

My regards,

Graeme.