Esophogeal stage 4 cancer liver Mets & lymph nodes

• 7 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi I originally posted on her in august as that’s when my 52 year old partner was diagnosed with stage 4 esophogeal cancer, he had since had 2 stents fitted as the first one moved and he was unable to eat anything at all including liquid foods without vomiting and constant stabbing pain in his upper chest area. Following his second stent being fitted he is able to eat normally including steaks and various other foods which is great. He had just finished 6 cycles of chemo and is now giving his body a rest from it all.  The last CT scan showed that his liver Mets had remained the same slight Shrinkage to his lymph nodes and the oncologist could not determine whether it had shrank in the esophagus due to the first Stent placement squashing the tumour.  He remains positive as do I, but my question is has anyone came across or know anybody that has had any positive outcomes with people opting to use apricot kernel seeds, I have read numerous forums and researched into them and they claim to Shrink tumour as well as using curcumin, I understand that they turn to cyanide in the body but apparently this is what helps to shrink the tumours, any comments gratefully received with regards to using kernel seeds. 
thanks 

• Hello Weston2020

It is good to hear that your partner has finished 6 cycles of chemotherapy,, is eating well and is now taking a break after some shrinkage to the lymph nodes. 

You have raised an interesting question here, thank you.. I certainly do not know enough about the consumption of apricot kernel seeds to be able to give you an informed response, but I would be cautious based on what information I have read.  I see that there is also apricot kernel oil and this is something that I think I would be interested in trying for Dal, less chance in my opinion of the extensive side effects that the kernels themselves seem to tag on to.

I look for all foods high in anti-oxidants, we eat a higher portion of raw veg now than previously, although some foods like tomatoes, have a higher anti-oxidant when cooked. We do smoothies regularly and look for every way possible to contribute to the medical treatment that he is being given...so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Maybe someone else will have a greater understanding regarding your question, and I too look forward to reading those responses.

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Hi .. I noticed your partner sounds similar to mine who is 30 and had stents and was fortunate enough to have them removed .. we were told no seeds at all though ... so not sure ... my partner had to have his stent replaced a few times and was horrible .. also if you don't mind asking what chemo was your partner on .. my partner has seen growth again and is getting placed on paclitaxel so was curious .. thank you 

• Hi

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, though I imagine your question was directed

My husband does not have a stent, and he is on immunotherapy, his initial treatment cycle was Docetaxel 96mg mg and Oxaliplatin165 intravenous and a 24 hour Fluorouracil IV infusion. this continued for another 4 cycles.  At cycle 6 his treatment changed to Trastuzumab 504mg and Oxaliplatin 165mg, with the 24 hour Fluorouracil IV infusion on reading his notes on one treatment he had 5000mg Fluorouracil and on the next he has 5200mg  

His treatment is fortnightly. Over Xmas 2020 he had a break from treatment missing one treatment... 

The Trastuzumab is an immunotherapy treatment and overall, his health condition has really pleased his oncologist.

I wish your partner every success with his treatment

Lowe'

• Hi 

Can i ask how the chemotherapy went ?  

My 84 year old mum was diagnosed with metastatic oesophageal cancer in May and was advised against chemotherapy, due to the potential toxic side effects, she is now at a stage where she can only tolerate a very small amount of soup to eat, she is waiting for her Macmillan nurse to come back to her regarding potential stent insertion.  

Just hate seeing her wasting away 

Thanks in advance

• Hi Simplicity

Welcome to the forum, I am really sorry that Mum has been diagnosed with metastatic oesophageal cancer, I fully appreciate what a terrible experience that is for everyone.

With regards to the chemotherapy, my husband is doing very well, there have been times of difficulty, occasions side, effect like upset stomach and nose bleeds, but nothing too "dramatic".

It is important to remember that everyone reacts differently, but certainly my husband found eating easier and visualised the treatment as being his lifeline to being healthy. A year on and he is back at work 3 days a week (from home) and has been advised by his oncologist that he can have a chemo holiday if he would like.

You are able to ask for second opinions should you think it might benefit Mum

I hope they can find some treatment that works for her. 

Lowe'

• Hi Weston,

I think you'd have to eat 10,000 apple pips (yes, those too) to get cyanide poisoning, safe to say that won't be an issue.

My mother has a stent due to a very tight stricture. I know everyone is different, but I just wonder if swallowing seeds they may lodge in the stents mesh. We've been warned by the dieticians that certain foods, for example a simple slice of bread can lodge itself into the stent causing other foods to get trapped.

I would speak to the dieticians about this before trying it. They may also know whether the claims are true. 

One last thing, my mother can eat soft foods like Skips, Aero chocolate bars, etc. Last week she put a ripe banana in a blender so it was almost pure liquid. But those tiny bits that look like black seeds made it impossible to swallow. 

Might be worth talking to the Endoscopy team who fit the stents. Always get the right advice. 

And I wish you all the best from the bottom of my heart.

Regards,

Graeme.

• thank you 

She is going in for a stent on Tuesday.  I asked the other day about chemo and she was quite reluctant.  it has been a difficult journey as all the conversations regarding her care and diagnosis have been on the phone no face to face consultations.

I think that on Tuesday I might ask for advice from the Dr who will see her.

thanks again