Husband aged 69 with GBM 4, diagnosed early January 22

• 12 replies
  • 27 subscribers

How I miss our old life- we'd have just returned from skiing and would have been looking forward to his 70th birthday in sunny Turkey. Sadly both had to be cancelled.

I thought he wasn't right late in 2021 and other people started to notice he wasn't himself. Suspected a stroke & called the doctor who sent him for a scan. Found out by telephone from A&E the same day and from then on it's been a constant round of hospital appointments- surgery (while he had asymptomatic Covid 19) followed by 6 weeks radiotherapy & chemotherapy.

He's been incredibly brave but is no longer the man he was and does not want to talk about his cancer. He talks as if he'll recover & I'm guessing this is the only way he can get through this, I can't possibly take away that hope. 

Most days I cope reasonably well but today I've crumpled, not that I ever let him see as he has the worst situation & doesn't need me adding to it.

The doctors have only said 'It will shorten your life' and 'In our experience, most GBM4 cancers return'. Why do I even need to know how long we've got? Yet it feels so important to know.

So many of the posts on here I can identify with- not many people I know have any idea what we're going through. I had never seen him show fear and now understand that is where a lot of his behaviour is probably coming from. 

Virtual hugs to all in need of support on here.

• Hi Sulubee

Sorry to hear he had such a reaction to the radiotherapy. From what I can gather the radiotherapy is more difficult to deal with than the chemotherapy and I think my husband is still feeling the effects (albeit fairly mildly) 6 weeks after the last treatment. 

Hope your husband is now home & continuing to improve.

• Hi, 

Yes he is at home again now just in time for his birthday Birthday. He is amazingly strong and is back to how he was before he went in to hospital - self caring and coherent.His fits are well controlled and I can leave him by himself again for a few hours if I need to go out. The support I recieved from the hospital was amazing.

We are looking at starting his Chemotherapy soon as he tolerated that well last time, it is a couple of weeks later than planned but at least it is happening.

I am remaining as positive as I can and am just enjoying every day together.