Boyfriend’s Brain Cancer

• 13 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hello, my name is Sarah and I just joined. Long story short, my 46 year old boyfriend was hospitalized because of severe dizziness and headaches. An MRI confirmed he had 3 small masses on the right side of his brain. He had surgery and all 3 masses were completely removed without any complications. He was only in the ICU over night and was home 2 days later. He’s doing wonderfully but unfortunately the pathology came back as primary Glioblastoma Multiforme. I made the mistake of Googling all about it and have scared myself to death. His neurosurgeon says his prognosis is good which I don’t understand based on all the terrifying stories I’ve read. Is it because the tumors were removed completely? I know this cancer is aggressive and the tumors can come back but the doctor insists he’ll be monitored very closely for any recurrence. He has his first appointment with the oncologist tomorrow to determine the next steps in his treatment to keep the tumors away. I’m curious if he’ll be as optimistic as the neurosurgeon was. I am terrified. I’ve already lost so many people to cancer. I have severe panic attacks and haven’t been coping well. I have moments where I feel like I’m having anticipatory grief when he’s still very much alive and possibly could be for a long time to come? I don’t even know if I believe myself when I say that. I’m a mess. Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Please be gentle! I’m fragile lol

• Hi SarahC83

I just wanted to say that we have been through the same thing in terms of the surgery, awful diagnosis and then treatment of 6 weeks radio & chemotherapy with my husband. I know it sounds really scary but actually, he flew through it with minimal side effects - I know that this isn’t true for everyone but sometimes all you hear is the bad stuff (which is inevitable with this horrible disease) but honestly, some days we just forget he has this diagnosis. He is incredibly stoic & just wants to get on with his life. He has just completed 6 months of oral chemo & plan now is 3 monthly MRI’s. We have never been given a timeframe so take each day as it comes - I think that’s the only way!

We know we have a horrible journey ahead but need to believe that we will also have lots of good times too. I completely agree with Wee me in that you are on your own journey, with him but not the same as him. Keep talking to people - friends or family if you can, or complete strangers on here. 
    We are all members of a club that no of us wants to belong to, each with our own horrible prognosis but aware of the incredible strength you get from being part of a community. 

Good luck with your journey & keep us posted x

• Totally with you. I too am dreading what lies ahead, but have already found the shared experiences and stories here comforting. 

My 52 year old wife fell ill in March, a scan in AE showed up a very large mass, in April she had surgery and she will start radiotherapy on 17 May.  It’s not even been 2 months, yet it seems like year since our world turned upside down.

Like you, I googled and the one thing I didn’t want the consultant to say was GBM4.

Thank you for sharing your story. This is not a place any of us wants be, but you are helping others here and future readers too.

Most importantly, if your man is in a good a place now, take comfort from that.  My wife is uncomfortably at ease with her prognosis.  I have to find my way to tap into that too.

Good luck :-)

• Hi Sarah, i myself was diagnosed with what your partner has. I was diagnosed december 2016. Had my operation to take as much as posible out. The operation went well, and i was home in 2 days. I know that this will sound strange, but i felt at ease, a sense of peace i hadn't had before. My wife and son have been my rocks my family too. I do things now that make me happy and i do as much as i can each day. Each case is different, a i hope with all my heart, that you have many years still together. Make as many memories as you can while you can. If you have anything specific you need or want to talk about, i will check on here weekly. Anthony.