Surgery-no chemo or radiation

• 6 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi. My father (age 69)  was diagnosed with a glioblastoma in April. He had surgery 4 weeks later and had a partial resection. He had post operative complications which has resulted in the doctors stating he was unsuitable for radiation or chemotherapy.  I was wondering if anyone else had the experience of this? We can see him fading away but we can’t seem to get advise on how long we might have.

Has anyone had any experience of prognosis where a partial resection was carried on but no chemo or radiation following the surgery?

Thanks

• Hi  

It must be very stressful discovering that your father isn't able to have further treatment due to his health.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

It would be great if you could put something about your dad's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Have done that-thanks so much for the advice. This is all very new to us as we have not had cancer in the family before

• Hello. We are in almost the same situation. We’ve been told weeks to months. I think it’s fairly unpredictable and can be quicker than expected or can take months. The uncertainty is awful. Trying really hard to take a day at a time. Feel so much for you all x 

• Hi,  I've just read your post.   I am in the same position.  My husband (aged 75) was diagnosed on 24 April.   He had debulking surgery and was due to have chemo and radiotherapy starting 7 weeks later.   Unfortunately the week before due to a rapid deterioration I took  him to A&E and  on arrival he started having fits.   He had 8 days in hospital at the end of which we were told  he was not well enough to have any further treatment and is now in receipt of palliative care only.     The prognosis I was given was months if not weeks and he is slowly deteriorating.   

The worst thing about this is the waiting and not knowing exactly what will happen and when.   This is not helped by the fact that he has developed very painful bed sores and I have had to really press the community nurses to come out, although I was told today he is now booked to have two visits a week until the sores are under control. 

I feel that when my husband was discharged from the hospital and oncology team we had been been set adrift with very little help.   My husband is known to the local hospice which is a reactive rather than proactive service.  As my husband is not yet at the end of life stage, the input from the hospice is limited although the contact I have had with the hospice so far has been very kind and caring.   

I hope you manage to get some clearer answers from your father's medical team but, as others have said unfortunately it is not possible to know how a person's illness will progress and we can only be given broad parameters.   

Sending you and your father and family much love.  

• Hi I wondered what happened for you guys ? Hope you are ok 

• Hi I wondered how you guys are getting on