Temozolomide

• 11 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi, 

My husband has just started his six months of oral chemo and had nausea and one episode of vomiting.

Any advice on which antisickness medication works best?

• Hi Sulubee

Sorry to hear that but I'd advise calling your CNS or the GP for advice here. My husband was prescribed two different anti-sickness drugs when he started the 6 weeks of oral chemo/radiotherapy combined so there's no "one size fits all" drug here.

Hope you manage to get something to help him soon.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks. I had already spoken to our CNS and her advice worked well. I was just wondering what other people had found worked.

Day 2 has been a lot better. 

• Hi, just finished my first cycle on 300mg TMZ and had sickness for 8 hours on the first day but moved onto stronger anti sickness which worked well and sickness was controlled but still feel nauseous and been of tmz for 3 days, is this normal or as you experienced?

• We started using a dose of Ondansatron half an hour before tmz and a dose of Domperidone with the tmz and did not have any further issues. Hope you find the regime that helps you.

• Thank, I am on ondastron now and it works well and take it twice a day while on TMZ, but after you finish the 1 week cycle and not on tmz did your husband still take anti-sickness?

• No he didn't need it.Nausea was not a problem but from what I have heard a lot of people do.

We are on cycle 6 of the chemo almost a year post diagnosis. How are you doing?

• Was diagnosed on the 31st July 2022 and the only symptom was a headache over few days, had surgery early September which removed 95% and the 6 weeks of chemo and radiotherapy and then 5 weeks off.. just finished cycle 1, overall I am ok just tired and nauseous after treatment, how is your husband getting on.

• We had to have a two month break between radiotherapy/ chemo and the six cycles of tmz as he was hospitalised for three weeks post radiotherapy due to side effects and fits. Since then his main issue has been fatigue. 

• Sorry to hear that, I have to say combined radiotherapy and chemo was bad, had to go back on steroids for a week when I finished due to the headaches, fatigue is a challenge especially in this weather as you can’t really do anything 

• We have a dog so my husband tries to come for at least one walk a day as once he is out he feels better. He gets plenty of sleep as well. He can get more confused and has more memory issues if he is really tired