Vertigo

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Has anyone suffered from vertigo after stopping chemo. I have been told it's anxiety as all scans were OK. I'm not an anxious person and I was very upset at being told that . I have had it in the past.

• Hi again  and sorry to hear about your challenges…… when you look at the official definition of Vertigo…..

Vertigo is a symptom, rather than a condition itself. It's the sensation that you, or the environment around you, is moving or spinning. This feeling may be barely noticeable, or it may be so severe that you find it difficult to keep your balance and do everyday tasks.

……. I can recognise some of my early post treatment challenges on this definition. I had very bad Chemo Brain (confirmed by my SCN after she did some simple tests) that affected my cognitive and practical abilities to the point I was told not to drive for 3-4 months after my treatment……

I had some hearing problems going into my main treatment but my chemo made this worse developing inner ear issues and my hearing got worse.

I had an MRI on my head but the Audiologist professor said there was nothing noticeable but most likely the chemo had damaged some of my neuro-pathways so it was something that I just had to learn to live with.

I find my cognitive processing speed slightly slower but not to stop me driving and I also find if I stand up quickly (especially if I had been on my knees) it can take time for my my head to clear as my head spins…. so I now live life at a much more reduced pace but it does not stop me getting on with life.

I will say that if your are in any way anxious about these symptoms this can unknowingly make the symptoms that more noticeable……. I would say that I don’t have an anxiety bone in my body…… but in the early days I did overthink some of the symptoms and it was my great SCN who helped me unpack what was going on and got my eyes fixed on a way to go forward to live with…… this rather then be defined by it all ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge