Shingles Vaccination

• 7 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Almost a million more people (900,000) will become eligible for a shingles vaccination from September, the NHS announced today.

Anyone who is severely immunosuppressed and over 50 will be able to get two doses of the Shingrix vaccine – currently the vaccine is only available to those over 70.

I doubt my GP will be writing to me about it though.

• My GP surgery have told me that it is all in the process of being set up...... the decision has yet to be made if it will be given at the surgery or at our local vaccination hubs where we get our covid boosters and flu jabs.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• "From 1 September 2023, those turning 65 and 70 will also be able to get the vaccine after their birthday, in addition to those already aged 70-80. Patients will be contacted by their GP practice when they become eligible."

My mother in law is over 80 nobody has mentioned it to her.

But she said she will ask next time she is there.

I am definitely not waiting for them to contact me :-)

• I received a text message last week with an appointment for the end of this month for my next covid and flu jabs so I will gauge what is going on with regards to shingles and follow it up.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Well I filled the online form in to enquire and heard nothing apart from an email to say they got it ( website says they will reply within 2 days)

So rang up yesterday half an hour to get an answer.

Asked my name then said is it about the Shingles vaccination ?

Apparently they need to set up a clinic and they will be in touch.

Not holding my breath.

They are not doing the flu and covid jabs this year.

The website also says if you are ill don't come in.

• Well I got my first jab on Monday.

I did have to contact my GP  about it again they said "Do you really want it ?"

Will have the second one in 8 weeks time apparently because of my weakened immune system.

Not had a day off sick in the last two years Stuck out tongue

My mother in-law has passed the age of eligibility 70-79.

So she can only have it done privately.

• Hi Mike, just wishing you and your family a Happy New Year up there is lovely Scotland.  I am still doing good and drop in on and off to add a comment or two and I am on maintenance No. 6 in February!.halfway through.  My elation is short lived though as  just found out that my older brother has bladder cancer that has spread, rather quickly and has a bad prognosis.  Why, why why we keep asking, but we have to have hope.  Keep well and thanks again for this site.

• Hi  wishing you and yours a safe and healthy 2024 but I am sorry to hear about your brother……. With 1in 4 people being directly affected with cancer in their life time at times I think I am one of the lucky ones.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge