On a lighter note........ CHIGGERS!

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

We live on ten acres and I’m always outside putzing around in a garden or flower bed. It never fails that I get attacked by chiggers at least once or twice a season. I’m not sure what you guys call chiggers over there? Jiggers? The very tiny little bugs in the grass that cause groupings of bites that are similar to mosquito bites? Do you guys have chiggers? Anyway, on Sunday, it started with one red spot and progressed to looking like I had the measles. By Wednesday, I had hundreds and had developed an all-over allergic reaction. I itched from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet and my skin was on fire like I had a sunburn. Headache. Light fever. My doctor put me on doxycycline yesterday. Because I technically have hundreds of holes in my skin that are bacteria entry points. I tried to count them. After I reached 75 on one small area on my torso, I figured a conservative estimate to be 300-400. And, I try to put out of my mind that chiggers are arachnids. GROSS! Hundreds of spider ‘bites’. Spider Well, they dont actually bite. They stick a nozzle in you, inject enzymes to liquify your skin, and have their meal. You’re welcome! Stuck out tongue winking eye

Wait a minute! This was supposed to be ‘on a lighter note’! Hang on, I’m getting there. My doctor said that due to the chemo aggravating my nerves that are trying so desperately to regenerate, heal, or whatever they’re trying to do (from the break and the bone lesions)….and all the IV trauma to my forearms over the last five months (infiltrations, damaged veins, hard veins)…being on the antibiotic…having chigger saliva coursing through my body….......that I could skip the sixth bendamustine. Hallelujah!!! He does still want me to come in and do the sixth immunotherapy (Rituximab). So next Wed will be my last (hopefully LAST EVER) infusion day! Green heartPray tone1

• Sounds challenging but every dark cloud has a silver lining.

I think we have the harvest mite version. We are on the edge of  arable farmlands but don’t find the harvest mites to be a problem - your Chiggers sound blood thirsty. We do have to watch out for TICKS as these can lead to Lyme Disease and this is not great.

Up in the Highlands of Scotland we have the world famous Midges…….. these are little monsters and hunt is swarms.

Indeed hope that this is your last treatment Fingers crossed

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Oh gosh, I looked up midge and harvest mites. Our chiggers are your harvest mites! And ticks are a common occurrence here, too. I deal with at least 3 a week…on the dogs or on me. If they turn fat and grey, I defer removal to my husband. They make me nauseous when they’re big and gross. But, thankfully, I find most of them before they have attached. And, yes, Lyme disease is a huge concern here, too.

My chigger challenges have expanded. I was doing better on Thurs, but then a massive migraine started that night. And then yesterday morning I almost fell out of bed because I was so dizzy. I couldn’t even walk. My doctor told me to stop the doxycycline (already did because I knew the migraine and vertigo were being caused by it). He said we should just steer clear of antibiotics for now. I couldn’t walk unattended. Or move my head to the right. Or lean forward. This morning, I’m a bit better, but still very dizzy. I cant tell if I’m just better at managing the triggers or whether it’s getting better. Most doxy side effects are usually nausea and other gastro problems. Nope, I go straight for the ‘less common’ side effects list. Upside down

About your midges…we call those no-see-ums (yes, yes, another strange US name). Thankfully, we dont have midges in Nebraska (just about in the center of the US…maybe a bit north). But when we travel to the deep South, I do recall being warned about them.

• Glad you are feeling better.

This is a photo that was put up by The National Trust for Scotland this morning Flushed

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge