Mum diagnosed

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

Hi, thanks for letting me join. Mum has recently been diagnosed with Duodenal cancer, having survived breast cancer 8 years ago. She had a MRI yesterday and we are waiting on the results to find out the next stages. She's been told its likely surgery followed by chemo.

I don't really know why I'm writing, I'm struggling to process it all so I guess I'm hoping this will help. Obviously I've done my research, I know that this cancer is more aggressive than the breast cancer she fought previously (which was caught very early stages), so I think that scares me. She's such a strong woman, proper matriarchal type, always supporting my dad and siblings with their various crisis's and the idea of this tumour weakening her has properly shaken me. However I've not been able to cry about it, just feel constantly anxious and almost numb. 

I'd be interested to hear other peoples stories about this type of cancer, its not one I'd heard of before.

Thanks

• Morning CurlyWurly

I am very sorry to hear about your Mum's diagnosis, doubly so as she has already recovered from cancer before. I assume as the breast cancer was so long ago the duodenal diagnosis is primary and not secondary? - or is that my mistake?

We were also told that not only is this cancer aggressive, it is also rare so you won't see many discussions on this group as there is limited information available.

Has your mother been given a treatment plan, i.e. is the tumour operable? My husband was diagnosed four years ago and had a Whipple procedure, which you may or may not have already discussed with her oncologist. See my profile for a summary of his progression and treatment which might give you an idea of what it involves.

What I do know from my husband's experience, is things don't always go a certain way. After his surgery, we were given the 'end of life plan' a psychologist, a pain consultant and a carrier bag stuffed with literature - We were completely floored by the sheer weight of dealing with the diagnosis, what it meant for him and the family from a team of kindly experts who didn't pull their punches. It did not look good at all. The 'team,' have proven to be fantastic and if he picks up the 'phone to ask a question, or sort a problem, they react instantly and nothing is too much trouble.

That was four years ago and having had two rounds of EOX chemotherapy he's living a normal life, still working and we have a  holiday to a Greek Island booked. He also went climbing in the Lake District last year!

I hope that helps a little, and if you have questions I can answer, please just ask.

Sally