Itchy skin

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Evening everyone. My dad is currently undergoing chemo for lymphoma his skin is super dry and itching terribly. Has anyone experienced this or if you have any recommendations on products that other people have found has worked?
The doctors have given some anti histamines but this hasn’t had much of an impact.
Many thanks in advance. 

• Hi again  , sorry to hear that your dad is experiencing the itchy skin…… unfortunately this can happen.

I have a rare skin Lymphoma so this was part of life for many years.

The skin is one of the bodies largest organs so can unfortunately be affected by the treatment also.

The first thing…… how much water is he drinking?….. if he is not trying to drink 2 litres of water ‘every single’ day he will not be sufficiently hydrated….. and this in turn effects the skin big time.

Although the anti-histamines may not seam to be working….. they most likely are as some people have significant skin issues during treatment.

You need to talk with his team with regards to getting some skin products.

Regularly using things like Diprobase, Doublebase or Hydromol Cream will feed his skin and something like Dermol 200 Shower Emollient helps as well.

He needs to keep away from cheap shower gels and scented products……and ware lose cloths and no jeans.

When he is having a shower before he switches the shower of he should slowly turn the temperature down to cool the water and in turn cool his skin down and this will close his skin pores and help the itching.

I do hope he gets relief soon but this should pass once his treatment is complete.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Morning. Thanks for such a quick reply. He’s still in hospital at the moment and has been since he was diagnosed as his mobility has been affected and if he was to go home he would need carers which they cannot source. so the health care assistants give him a bed bath and use the decontamination shower gel that they seem to use on all the patients so I don’t know if that’s doing more harm or not.
    they also have him on a fluid chart as he’s on treatment and he’s drinking quite a lot he’s ushally on or around 2L when I visit at teatime. however his appetite is really poor.

But I will speak to his doctors again about some of the products you mentioned. Thanks again! 

• Sorry to hear that he is in hospital…… the skin issues could well be down to the stuff they use…… do talk this through with his team ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge