Remission

• 2 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I have thankfully been in remission for 17 months but just in the last couple of weeks I have had some back ache probably due to me getting older and not doing much exercise .I am paranoid that my cancer has returned but have no symptoms other than my back ache which I had last time but was not sure if that was even  a symptom .I was diagnosed on the 21st of Dec 2021 so this time of year I think about it more. Sorry to go on I probably just need to be grateful and switch the brain off sometimes but its hard . Thank you for listening. 

• Hi again  and I see it was back in May that you first posted in our New to Community section of the Community so welcome into this group.

As I said in my initial reply I have lived with and been treated for a rather rare incurable type of Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma for over 24 years.

Over my first 16 years I only ever was in partial-remission..... the longest being 9 months.... so relapse was part of life. But my last treatment was in Oct 2015 and I remain in remission to this day......... and getting on with life.

I was 43 when I was first diagnosed and my last treatment was one month before my 60th birthday and just turned 68 last week....... so 'growing older' and everything that comes with this will throw up other health issues.

Even in the last 12 months I have had CT, MRI and biopsies on issues that had nothing to do with my Lymphoma but thankfully nothing that was found was cancer related and have been dealt with.

My main brick sized mass in my neck was treated 10 years ago and to this day I still have aches and pains in the exact area where the mass was....... more often over the winter as I am less active. The aches and pains are all down to nerve and muscle damage that regular activity can keep under control but obviously we do less in the winter. 

We have to learn to trust our bodies.... with this in mind you may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

I also volunteer with Lymphoma Action the only UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information, videos..... basically all things Lymphoma....... pre, during and post treatment.

You may also want to watch the following webinar that was produced by Lymphoma Action last year - Remission as it talks through the subject (follow the link and go to the bottom of the page)

Always around to chat this through more........ but it's important not to allow the 'What if's?' to define you...... you need to take control and define how you life life and move forard.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much your words are such a comfort to me and your story so inspiring keep going in good health .