Remission. My experience. 12 Step Program

• 3 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi all. So after 6 rounds of R-CHOP and 15 sessions of radiotherapy i got the news on Tuesday that i am cancer free and in remission. I am mindful thay remission is not the same as cured but an important step along the way, and obviously i am happy and relieved to have received this news.

As someone who hasnt drunk, one day at a time for some years now, i am also mindful that i am now in remission from 2 diseases...cancer and alcoholism.

There are certain things that have become ingrained in me from my time in recovery that havr really helped me, which I'd like to share on here. They wont be for everyone, but they have been good for me.

1. One Day at a Time.

I have tried not to think about the whole 6 chemo cycles, or the 3 weeks of radio, of the last 3 months of waiting. Its just too much! Rather i have focussed on what is happening TODAY. What do i need to do TODAY? What can i do to help myself TODAY? Tomorrow will take care of itself.

2. The Serenity Prayer

God (a God of my own understanding) grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I had to accept my diagnosis. No amount of anger, fear or frustration would change that.

But there were things i could change. For me, this was cleaning up my diet, doing Wim Hof (cold showers and brething exercises), walking in nature and meditation.

Did these help me get to remission? I dont know, but they made me feel i was taking back a bit of control and that made me feel good.

3. Friends and Support

Being in a fellowship that actively encouges me to talk about whats going on in my head has been amazingly helpful. It is ok to feel tearful or scared some days. Talking to others (some who had been through cancer or other illnesses, or sufferres bereavements, or whatever, reminded me that tough times come to us all. 

4. The Parable of the Chinese Farmer

I love this...it goes something like...

A Chinese Farmer has a horse that runs away.

All the villagers gather round and say "How awful'

The farmer say 'Maybe'

The next day the horse returns, with 3 wild stalions in tow.

The villager say 'Isnt that great'

The farmer says 'Maybe'

The next day the farmers son, trying to tame one of the stallions, gets thrown and breaks his leg.

The villagers say 'How awful'

The farmer says "Maybe"

The next day the army recruiters come to village looking for conscripts to fight, but pass the son over cos of his broken leg.

The villagers say 'How awful'

The farmer says 'Maybe'

Point being we dont know the consequences of good luck or bad luck.

Maybe my cancer got me to clean up my diet, and without that i would have developed dibetes in a years time and had significant health problems from that.

Anyway, hope that helps someone, 

If you are starting, or on, this journey then i wish you the very best

Andy

• Hi again  and good to hear about your remission…… as we know DLBCL can be cured but this is often not part of the post treatment language until you are a good 5 years down the line…… 

We all need strategies to help us navigate the rollercoaster and reading yours sounds like they worked for you.

The story about the Chineses farmer is so true….. we are passengers in all this and we trust our clinical team to do the best they can….. our part is to control the noise between the ears and ‘Maybe’……. or hopefully everything works for the greater good - all the very best as you navigate the final third of the journey…… living the post treatment life.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• You got this nailed Billyboy! I know a kindred spirit when I hear one. I'm 5 years in remission and next month can call myself cured! Hell it was only EVER a temporary illness anyway. 
  • Thanks Trooper. And congrats on the 5 years. Thats aweaome!